Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslei Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Lap-top will not connect to wireless router
    I have a regular computer and recently went to high speed Internet. 12 year old in the house has her own lap-top machine. The installed wireless router worked well on both machines, but after a month or so, the lap-top just will not connect to the Internet. If I disconnect my desk-top machine and connect a wire directly from the lap-top to the wireless router, the lap-top works OK. Any suggestions as to what I should do? (Please answer as if replying to a 5 year old - I have a doctorate, but remain abjectly stupid when it comes to computers!) With many thanks. Jameslei.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 03:40 PM

Try this. If it doesn't connect then try searching for networks. Yours should be in the list. Has the laptop left the house and been in use anywhere else?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2010, 03:45 PM

First, make sure the wireless is turned on. Some laptops have a switch that turns the wireless on and off. If the wireless is on there should be a blue light that looks like a radio antenna.

Second, make sure the wireless adapter is looking for your network.

Have you tried running the network diagnostics? What version of windows on the laptop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect Pantech UM175 wireless broadband modem to Belkin Wireless G router [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Pantech UM 175 wireless broadband modem from Millenicom and I am able to hook it up to a laptop running Vista, a laptop running XP, and a PC running XP individually. However, I would like to have it where I can create a network so that any or all of the computers can access the internet...

Swapping hard drives from Lap Top to Lap top [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to this forum, we have declared my hard drive on our Dell laptop corrupt. We have another Dell LAptop that has a good hard drive but the monitor hinge part is broken and it just flops around. I was wondering if we could take out the hard drive from the broken screen one and put it in the lap...

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Can't connect to wireless router [ 3 Answers ]

Why can't I get my iTouch to "connect" with my wireless router in my home? It works in hotel and other businesses I've visited:mad:

View more questions Search