Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Deaf Ferret?
    I recently discovered my little ferret is deaf, we have a ferret who can hear as well. Anyway when my deaf ferret is playing with my other ferret he hurts her. I've read on websites that it is because he can't hear her screaming. Is there anything I can do? Do they need to be separated or can she handle it herself (She is almost twice the size of him)?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Hi, Emily94!

For right now, I would suggest separating them until more is known about what to do and so that they are both safe.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 02:03 PM
    How do you know he is deaf?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 6, 2010, 02:27 PM

Going over and separating them when she starts cry might help. He may eventually learn to pick up on other clues.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How do you know he is deaf?
    My mom made a comment on how she thought he was a rude ferret because he ignored EVERYTHING. She then joked that he was deaf. Trying to prove her wrong I googled "deaf ferret test", it came up with a test where you place 2 ferrets in front of a vacuum, one that can hear, and the other who may not be able to. When there both in front of the vacuum you turn it on. The hearing one will run away but the deaf one will stay behind. Well that's exactly what happened. I also filled a tin can full of pennies and shook it while he wasn't looking he didn't respond, I did it to the one who could hear and she ran away. From these two test I'm assuming he is deaf. Also because if I sneak up on him (not on purpose) when he turns around he screams and runs (Which I also read is common in deaf ferrets because they can't hear you coming and if you walk slowly they can't feel it).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    My mom made a comment on how she thought he was a rude ferret because he ignored EVERYTHING. She then joked that he was deaf. Trying to prove her wrong i googled "deaf ferret test", it came up with a test
    It sounds like you did the right things to figure this out. Nice detective work!
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It sounds like you did the right things to figure this out. Nice detective work!
    Thank you :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 07:15 AM

My dog has become VERY protective of the female (over the past 2 days) and when the male was hurting her last night my dog walked up, picked him up by the scruff and tossed him across the room (I know I should have been watching them better but usually my dog wants nothing to do with them). Since that little incident I've heard zero crying, maybe he learned his lesson? If not I'm going to do the same thing (without the whole tossing thing, maybe I'll just drop him on a pillow:P)

Don't worry I checked the little guy for any signs of injury and there is nothing :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 7, 2010, 12:06 PM

Ferrets are fairly 'bouncy' creatures. Sounds like puppy decided it was time to step in. hopefully, the lesson sticks.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 06:42 PM

Emily, I am so sorry, I am laughing so hard right now. I just had a mental picture of you scaring the b'Jesus out of your ferrets. LOL. I know, not funny. Sounds like if you separate them when she squeals they should be okay. Does she still like playing with him?
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2010, 07:02 PM

Sorry I haven't been on lately, Aurora, it's okay to laugh, I did :)

She still plays with him even when they get rough, I'm wondering if maybe ferrets are just noisey when they play?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I think my ferret may have just seizured? [ 6 Answers ]

I just went to go fill up my ferrets food dish and my 13 week old kit was laying in the hammock with his head sticking out and he was shaking, I called his name and he didn't look at me and continued to shake, I shook his treat bag and the same thing. I then pet him and started whispering his name...

Getting a ferret. [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking into getting a ferret, I've always wanted one and think they would make an interesting pet. I'm just wondering what do you guys think? What are some pros and cons? What do you NEED to have? What would be some things ferrets WANT? It would be in a three or four level cage (Not to sure...

Getting a new ferret. [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was...

What are some symptoms of a pregnant ferret? [ 10 Answers ]

I have 2 males and 1 female. I do not know if they are fixed, but one of the males has been trying to get frisky with my female. She has been acting weird and nipping a lot. She is not as friendly and generally keeps to herself. This is not her usual personality. Could she be pregnant? What are the...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search