Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anolesoul Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2010, 01:42 PM
    Is my Social Security Disability money exempt from spousal maintence?
    I was left alone/stranded by my soon to be ex wife and her son. I am disabled and have no other source of income except my S.S.D. monies. Are my S.S.D. monies exempt from spousal maintenance my soon to ex wife is going after?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 01:46 PM

This is what I find: "The only garnishments that may be attached to Social Security benefits are those issued by the Federal Government (typically, this would be taxes and student loan payment defaults) to recover monies owed to them directly or for child support arrears.

Additionally, disability benefits are only payable to the disabled individual and would not be part of any divorce settlement."

Garnishments, Divorce, and Social Security Disability
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 07:47 AM

You can sign your son up to receive his own check drawn off your benefits. But no, the SSD money cannot be used as spousal maintenance money.

Jul 11, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Well, the judge has already awarded her $500.00 for me to pay,which started June/2010. And, it is coming out of my S.S.D. monies;of which, is all I have to live off. And, tomorrow I have to go to court(no representation,unfortunately),hopefully for

Jul 11, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    I have no son. She---does. And, what with has already been granted to her(my ex-to-be.), I have NO faith in whatever "justice" there is. Because in my case---there is NO justice.

Jul 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    And, to top things off,she now is going after 1/2 of my back-pay;which,is already gone. I have only my monthly amount going into my account,and that is it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2010, 08:17 AM

Please don't use the comments feature to respond - your responses are being cut off.

I cannot answer by PM - you must post whatever it is you need to know on the board.

For me to reply personally and individually would be a violation of AMHD rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will pulling money out of my 401k affect my social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

Pulled $2600 out of my 401k, which netted me $2028 after witholdings for state and federal taxes. Will this affect my social security disability benefits? I have been working part-time since December 2009 earning $564 per month also. How much can I withdraw from my 401k without affecting my SSD...

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Mennonites Exempt from Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

I have a client that is Mennonite and employees mennonites and the employer claims that as an employer he must pay the employer portion of the social security and medicare on the total wages but his employee is not subject to the social security and medicare being withheld. I can not find any...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search