Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
    New pic of Brook

Hi guys, Brook is doing extremely well but would like some advice from bella, shaz, other wonderful people. Brook had her operation (spay) Friday morning and she recovered so well vet called left a message Friday afternoon and said come and get her she recovered extremely well, barking jumping around, etc. This is my long time vet so trust Nancy completely. Went to get her on Saturday morning (got the message too late on Friday to act) and she looked really well, very quiet, remember she is 4 years old. She is eating and drinking and performing all bodily functions normally but is just being a complete suck. She is sleeping almost non stop, not worried at this point, feel that is normal for an adult female, but concerned she doesn't want to go to walks, only far enough to have a poop.

Yesterday she didn't pee until 3 pm, went to bed and Chris carried her out (raining) and she went, back in bed after that. Now she is a couch potato and that isn't like her.

So girls, is she just completely recovering and she knows her limitations ? Or should I call the vet tomorrow, Monday because actually she doesn't have to go back until stiches come out.

She is happy, tail wagging, kisses all over to us.

Thanks guys

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 01:38 PM

- Sounds like me after my hysterectomy. I'm sure she's "simply" recuperating. I'd give her some time.

(She's BEAUTIFUL!)
    Expert

Jun 6, 2010, 06:11 PM

Thanks, Judy, right now its 9 pm, I am headed out on an overnight till 7am tomorrow. She is under the covers where I left just now. She is so great to cuddle up to ! It was hard leaving that warm spot. It isn't hard to be a 'sucky' around here.

Tick
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2010, 06:34 PM

I agree with Judy... sounds about right. She will likely take it easy for several days, and should, so don't expect more than around the house and bathroom break type walks just yet. You should see a bit more energy as each day passes as she gradually gets back to her old self. Obviously call her vet if you don't feel she is recuperating as you think she should be. She's a sweetie!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 10:56 AM

Brook is beautiful:)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 10:59 AM

She's a beautiful dog tick,I can't give you any advice,but I just wanted to admire your dog.
    jpbuzzworthy Posts: 47, Reputation: 4
    -

Jun 7, 2010, 11:01 AM

My female Mini Doxie was a couch potato for a good 76 hours after. I thought she was dying for the first 10 hours for sure!

She was only 6 months, though. Don't know if that matters.

Now BRUCE on the other hand... out male Mini Doxie, who was 5 months when he got neutered, was jumping off the couch and chasing the cat 5 hours later (much to our horror of course.)

I'd say it's probably normal, but I'm not vet and you can only follow your heart when it comes to your babies, of course... but I did experience the same thing, if it's any consolation.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbuzzworthy View Post
    My female Mini Doxie was a couch potato for a good 76 hours after. I thought she was dying for the first 10 hours for sure!

She was only 6 months, though. don't know if that matters.

Now BRUCE on the other hand...out male Mini Doxie, who was 5 months when he got neutered, was jumping off the couch and chasing the cat 5 hours later (much to our horror of course.)

I'd say it's probably normal, but I'm not vet and you can only follow your heart when it comes to your babies, of course...but I did experience the same thing, if it's any consolation.
    Thanks, jp ! I appreciate your input very much and you only mirrored my feelings on this too. Today she is being a pest and getting back to her normal bouncy self !

Tick
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    shes a beautiful dog tick,i can't give you any advice,but i just wanted to admire your dog.
    Yes, she is lovely inside and out so we have found. A very loving gentle girl.

She is shiny midnight black almost all over, and a wave down her back. Very short hair; not very big only 47 lbs.

Tick
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 07:11 PM

Just saw this, I am leaning on the just recovering side, are you giving her any thing from the vet for pain? Dogs are masters at hiding pain and discomfort, she may be "at that age" where she isn't hiding her discomfort.

Does it look swollen or red, is it irritated, is she walking and than suddenly laying down to lick or pay attention to it?

So she got her operation on Friday, and stitches usually last a week or so, the stitches come out next Friday? Did they use disolvable stitches?

She is gorgeous tick! How are her and the cat making out?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 11:04 PM

I'm also leaning on the just recovery side.

I remember our Indy after he got home from his neuter (which is a far less traumatic surgery then a spay) and he was bouncing off the walls, until the pain meds wore off.

After that he laid in bed for 2 days straight, only got up to pee or poo, but other then that, he milked his owie for all it was worth. It worked too. He got extra treats and a lot of "oh you poor baby" from us.

She is absolutely beautiful Tick. You're a lucky doggy mom.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 07:05 AM

Yep recovery.
    One of mums poodles refused to walk at all for about a week after her surgery, then sooked for a few more weeks after wards!

She is gorgeous Tick :)
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Yep recovery.
    One of mums poodles refused to walk at all for about a week after her surgery, then sooked for a few more weeks after wards!

She is gorgeous Tick :)
    Thanks, shazzy, wondered where you were ! She certainly is a piece of work this one I can tell you. I can't get her off the sundeck unless I yell SQUIRREL ! Then she is bouncing all over under the trees and has a pee. Of course that was the general idea, get her out there for a pee. My son and I are having fun with this !

I woke up during the night with a dog on my back and one leg over my shoulder, snoring, in deep sleep so had to yell for Chris to get her off!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 10:42 AM

Hahaha, the magic word... squirrel! For mine it's Bikkie.

She sounds like she has settled in very well, except for her bad sleeping habits :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you think of this pic? [ 20 Answers ]

This was taken right after my son was born (on the left) the other 2 are his cousins the one on the right is 3 weeks older but he was a preemie they were due within a week apart.. doesnt have anything to do with the photo just telling u who they are ...

A pic of Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Here guys and gals Some of you wanted to see me. Here I am. I know a few people out there don't like me so they can really pick on my flaws ;)

Haircut pic [ 9 Answers ]

OK so I'm emo and I have long straight hair and I'm trying to find pic to show rebecca my stylist and I can't really find one The style is straight and then sort of cut at the top of the head and puffs out a tiny bit and I need the pic to show the whole head please

Babbling Brook [ 5 Answers ]

Sounds like a babbling brook is running under my house. It is a constant steady sound, yet very quiet. My water bill hasn't increased, but it worries me... any ideas what it would be? I'm trying to avoid crawling in the muddy crawl space under my house.

View more questions Search