Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kethal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
    Heat doesn't work correctly.
    Hi,
    I have a Rheem forced-air electric heater which is at least 15 years old but probably more. I know it's not a 90%, but I don't know if it's 80% or natural draft.

Sometimes it works fine, but many nights the blower will turn on but not the heat, so I'll wake up to a cold house. Turning it on and off a couple of times by setting the control temperature below and above the air temp usually causes the heat to actually kick in but this doesn't always work.

I had a technician come and he replaced an obviously bad limit switch. He didn't have the right one on hand so this limit is only connected to one heating element and he is getting a different limit. However, I don't think this will solve the problem since the same thing is happening with this temporary limit and I still have to turn the thing on and off to get the heat to turn on.

Any ideas? It's electric so I don't think it has an ignitor. I can't think of any reason why turning it on and off would do anything.

Thanks,
    KM
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
    If you have electric heat only, not a gas furnace or a heatpump the heat is brought on by a sequencer it works off time. The blower comes on first and then your heating elements. When it shuts off the elements shut off first and then the blower about 90 sec. later. It sounds like you have a bad sequencer.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 12:16 PM
    It sounds to me like a relay or contactor going bad. It could be managing to make once every several tries. You might check the control voltage. You should have 24 volts between the R terminal and com.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Programmable Thermostat doesn't work correctly [ 7 Answers ]

Last night I installed a simple hunter 5/2 programmable thermostat. I carefully reconnected the wires and labeled them. When I put the batteries in and turned it on the fan instantly powered on, but would not stop. I had it turned to heat and it ran all night long. Even when I removed the...

Replaced T-stat batteries... Now the AC/HEAT does not work at all! [ 5 Answers ]

Good morning and Happy Columbus Day everyone. I must say that anyone's help and feedback will be much appreciated. Last night the Thermostat (Honeywell Programmable CT8602) gave the low battery light as my wife was looking to drop it a degree before bed so she decided to replace the batteries. ...

Heater won't come on correctly. [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the Auto feature on the heater it won't come on but when I put it on Fan it runs just fine. What's causing this?

View more questions Search