Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Working Offline. What's the Point in Doing That
    Hi, All!

Okay. I think that it's fair to assume, although I might be incorrect, that most of us have seen the option to "Work Offline" on a computer. That would be especially, if we use a computer a lot online and if we happen to get disconnected from the Internet without our intending to be disconnected.

I've never really understood what that would be for, as far as working offline.

Would someone please enlighten me as to the purpose of that?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:51 PM
    I can see that you're looking at this thread, seahwk83!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:51 PM

You can save a web page as html and then if not connected, you would be able to open up that saved web page in your browser or pages you may have saved or bring to a PC that does not have connection and have info handy.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
    Hey thanks, seahwk83!

Would it matter about the type of browser that's being used in order to do that, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 11:08 PM

Htm or html files, IE will open up (unless have Firefox as default browser). You can go to file and open file in Firefox and browse to htm or html file
    jkraw90 Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Jun 5, 2010, 05:11 AM

What seahwk83 says is correct. Offline mode is a kick-back from the days of dial-up when you were charged by the minute. So you could download the page and view offline without being charged in the way seahwk83 details. It has some use these days with wireless so you can save a page for future reference if your using wireless on the move.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2010, 01:05 PM
    By the way, for right now, I am on a dial-up connection, just so you both know...
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 02:10 AM

If it's not unlimited, then you have use for working offline. :-)

What I'd like to know is how you knew seahwk was looking at this thread...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 7, 2010, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    What I'd like to know is how you knew seahwk was looking at this thread...
    If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, there is a tab that says something along the lines of "members currently viewing this page."
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 02:10 PM
    I usually keep another browser window or tab open to the page on this site that's titled "Who's Online." You get to it by clicking on "Currently Active Users" which is underneath "What's Going On?" It's a page that refreshes itself automatically every couple of minutes. I can see what people are doing and where they are on the site.

Occasionally, I'll check the bottom of a page on a thread. But, it's much faster and generally more accurate to see the whole picture, especially if you have more than one browser window open for the site and if others might also be doing the same thing.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, there is a tab that says something along the lines of "members currently viewing this page."
    Hmm, not in my skin.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 02:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I usually keep another browser window or tab open to the page on this site that's titled "Who's Online." You get to it by clicking on "Currently Active Users" which is underneath "What's Going On?" It's a page that refreshes itself automatically every couple of minutes. I can see what people are doing and where they are on the site.
    Yeah, I found that. I knew the "users online" thing was there but never clicked on it before. Except it just said I was "viewing who's online" even though my other browser was in this thread. So if everyone did that, it might be useless. I also have issues with the fact that it shows everyone's IP.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 09:32 AM

I also have issues with the fact that it shows everyone's IP.
    Personally agree, went there but did not take notice.
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Yeah, I found that. I knew the "users online" thing was there but never clicked on it before. Except it just said I was "viewing who's online" even though my other browser was in this thread. So if everyone did that, it might be useless. I also have issues with the fact that it shows everyone's IP.
    Like I mentioned though, it refreshes itself every couple of minutes. I find it very useful when helping multiple people at once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find the components of the vector v with given point P and terminal point Q, [ 1 Answers ]

Find the components of the vector v with given point P and terminal point Q, find te unit vector in the direction of v. 1. p: (3.2.0) Q: (5, -2,0)

Switch for point and point for insert [ 3 Answers ]

What are they please

What is the advantage of working offline? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi; I noticed a lot of members are working offline on this site. Is there an advantage to that?SS

Point-to-point diagram [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know about the use of point-to-point diagrams in electrical/electronics engineering.

Point to point diagram [ 2 Answers ]

Please I want to know about electrical point to point diagram

View more questions Search