Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2010, 09:47 PM
    Do Coins Made of Silver on the Outside Show More Wear More Than Those Without Silver?
    Hi, All!

The title is my question. It would be for coins that had equal treatment that would be likely to put some wear on them.

In my coin collection, I have a pretty good assortment of coins. A lot of them are silver on the outside or silver throughout them.

Just to re-phrase the original question a bit, though - If coins have silver on the outside of them, will they generally be more likely to show more wear than those without silver on the outside of them?

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2010, 11:16 PM

CLOUGH-Coins are made from more then one metal;; THE silver is softer and easier to stamp the coin the silver comes out with a very nice shinny surface; like your tyrue proof coins are. Being soft but still durable , perople tend to rtub them with hands and fingers; you will notice thsat coins with high points ,is the party of the coin that wears off first, when you are standing around with a bunch , talking likebeing at a hen party , you know ,just passing the time of the day ,what is one of the things you will do , un consciouslyyou will put your hand in your poctet and start to rub and jingle the coins in your pocket. Un knowing everyone does it and the coins get a lot of ruibbing and unnoticed the silver gets rubbed off , clough I may be werong ,but this is the way that I believe happins to silver coins.[ my battery went out on me ,and I was talking at the time ,its on the charger now;; nice talking to you , I enjoyed it ;; its 1:25 and I need to get to bed will talk latter ;;Have a great night and a better tomorrow ;; GOD BLESS
    F.B.E.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 11:32 PM
    Hi, Flying Blue Eagle!

Thanks for the information! I hadn't even considered the ease of being able to stamp the coins. Interesting, that the battery on the portable that I was using also went dead!

Maybe that's why some of the coins that are hundreds of years old might still look pretty good because they might not tend to show the wear as much as those that are made of silver. For instance, those that are made of bronze?

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2010, 11:45 PM

Hay clough - now i don't feel so bad : but we will have another time. Good night every one f.b.e. out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dollar silver certificate, silver coins [ 9 Answers ]

Can any one tell me to possible value of the following $5 silver certificate 1953 A * 26405592 A $5 silver certificate 1953 A E 32214086 A $2 United States Note 1963 red seal $2 Federal Reserve Note 1976 green seal $1 silver certificate 1957 blue seal $1 silver certificate 1957 A blue seal...

Silver dollar coins [ 4 Answers ]

How much is a 1892 silver dollar coin worth

Value of Confederate $5, Silver Coins, $1 signed by Barr and 1953 $2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to find out the value of a few items: $5.00 Confederate Bill. It is in very good condition (based on the charts offered from this site) but yellowed. The bill has three signatures on it. Two dollar bills: I have three different types. One is with a red seal and red serial...

Silver Coins [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what year the US coins stopped being made from Silver? (I am a beginner at coin collecting as was wondering what year) Thanks!:D

Are my Silver Certificates and you.S.coins worth anything [ 7 Answers ]

Hello; I have quite a few silver certifcates,dated from 1928A.The blue seal is on the left and the serial# Z49929498A. It is in mint conditon,and it is signed by AW Mallon. And also a 1935 silver certificate,blue seal on the right. And serial #Q74542844C and signed by Henry Monrgenthau Jr. And a...

View more questions Search