Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaradak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2010, 08:10 PM
    A/C stopped working - heat OK
    I have a 14 YO Lennox builder grade 2 ton system. The orig. transformer blew about 1 year ago, I replaced it (with help from this board) and 6 months later it blew again. This time, I installed a 3amp car-type fuse inline on the 24V side of the transformer before putting in the new transformer. I energized the system and within a few minutes, the fuse blew but it did its job and protected the transformer. I put another fuse back but this time had a helper turn the thermostat to cool while I observed what happens at the outside compressor. The compressor fan started and then quickly quit but no starting of the compressor motor. I ran back inside and noticed the air handler fan was running. I let it run a few minutes, went over to the thermostat and set the AC set point about 5 degrees higher than the inside air temp - basically not allowing the AC cycle to activate. I should also mention that I looked at the contacts on the contactor and they appear pitted - I believe the contactor is original. I read that they should be replaced every 5 years. The capacitor was not bulging. I do not know how to test either of these devices but am willing to learn. Any advice on where to go next is appreciated. Please give me advice on where I should go next!
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Possibly a shorted out contactor
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2010, 07:15 AM
    The coil of the contactor could be bad. Also low voltage wire to the contactor could have a short or the insulation is nicked. The pitted points and capacitor are all part of the high voltage side and will not cause the low voltage 3 amp fuse to blow.
    jaradak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2010, 05:33 PM

All, it was a short in the 24v wire between the airhandler and the outside compressor unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Washer stopped working? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a crosely conservator model number CAWB527MQ1, it all of a sudden stopped doing anything but fill up. It fills with water but will not aggitate or drain or spin? It makes a humming noise like the motor is working but it won't do anything. Any suggestions?

Sound just stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Out of the blue as far as I can figure, I lost sound from system today. No new software or hardware was installed. I am running XP Pro SP2, on a Dell, 2 GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, Pentium 4 3 GHz processor. The mute button is not checked. In device manager, there are no errors reported. I...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

1995 Eagle Vision Heat stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for any info on the reasoning why the Heat would stop working. I have a feeling it has to do with the electrical. I don't have the manual and I'm having trouble finding one free online. I need to check the fuses for a start, but much after that is beyond me. Any advice??

View more questions Search