Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Jun 3, 2010, 08:36 AM
    Are there any signs of pregnancy that could show up BEFORE a positive HPT?
    May be a stupid question, but I am curious. Are there any signs/symptoms of pregnancy that can be experienced before you have even gotten a positive pregnancy test?

For the last few weeks I've been able to smell things from a mile away. I was working inside the service desk in the grocery store I work at, and I complained that I smelled beer. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Come to find out, someone had broken a bottle of beer five minutes earlier way back in the beer section...

This is just one example of how I seem to be smelling like a super-human lol.

A friend said that's a sign of pregnancy. However, I take a test almost weekly since we're Trying to conceive, and I haven't gotten a positive yet.

Soooo that's why I was wondering if there are ANY symptoms that could possibly show before you've even got a positive HPT.

Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 09:57 AM

Some women can feel implatation. This is a sharp cramp-like pain a few days after conception, accompanied with zombie like fatigue. It normally lasts for a couple of hours.

I knew I was pregnant before I had my first positive pregnancy test, but it was more a feeling of something being different. I didn't have the usual PMSy feeling, and I know it sounds silly, I was convinced I could feel a sort of ticking in my belly.

However, you said "For the last few weeks". Typically, it's only about two weeks between conception and the time a home test will show a positive result.

Jun 3, 2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah I can't exactly recall when I started smelling things so intensely. I just know it was at least last week too.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 10:45 AM

My mother-in-law swore that she knew she was pregnant with my husband weeks before she found out, simply because she went to a party and all the food just smelled better to her.

Personally I think it's a myth, but some women swear that their sense of smell is heightened in early pregnancy. I wouldn't rely on that as a positive result though. ;)

When I was pregnant with my daughter I just knew that I was. I'm one of those women that gets a positive pregnancy result very soon after my missed period. Only days. Apparently it's not the norm. Most women don't get a positive pregnancy test until they're a few weeks late.

For me I just felt different. Nothing that I could point out, nothing like feeling sick, or smelling things better, just a general feeling that something was different.

When is your period due?
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 01:18 PM

I did get the sense of smell, but not until after the morning sickness started, smells often triggered it. I ended up cycling a lot, simply because every time I got on a bus, I smelled something that made me throw up.

Jun 3, 2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks guys :)

I don't have periods. I'm on 1500mg metformin and 1200mg vitex per day in hopes of conceiving though. Metforming since last September, vitex only since may 7th. I've only had one period this year, and it was early April.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 02:05 PM

Are you tracking your cycle? I assume you are, with that amount of metformin and Vitex. I

I've been Trying to conceive for some time now, and let me tell you--I used to be convinced EVERY month that I was pregnant, because of "this" sign, or "that" symptom.

My advice is to wait until you get a positive pregnancy test, because the constant hopes up, hopes crushed will get to you sooner than later. Most women I know who have ridden or are riding that roller coaster get to the point of severe depression sooner or later.

Are you seeing a counselor along with your gynecologist, to help with the emotional side of Trying to conceive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many days after a known ovulation date can a positive pregnancy test show? [ 15 Answers ]

I have been taking the medicine Clomid & have been really trying to get pregnant. My question is simple - I know the best time to test for pregnancy is after your missed period but my number of days between change. Last month it was 28 days & I circled the day on my calender that I could take an...

Is it possible to show signs of pregnancy immediately? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it is possible to show signs of pregancy almost immediately. My husband and I had sex Friday night, ( it is now Monday for me) I was having a lot of the jelly discharge a few days ago and now it has changed to a creamy consistency. I also have a slight cramping...

Positive hpt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody! So my husband came by on the fourth of July weekend, he works out of town, anyway we had unprotected sex we are tryig to conceive. So I took an HPT two weeks after and it came up positive but very faint, I took about 7 and all positive but faint. I went to the doctor for a blood...

One positive and 2 negative HPT [ 1 Answers ]

I was about to get my periods on August 18th still now nothing. I took HPT one came +ve and other 2 came -ve. My Dr. called me yesterday and said I did not ovulate this month, then how come a +ve HPT. I have some symptoms of Pregnancy but not all. Please help me.

When did you get a positive hpt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I am driving myself mad as I am now 5 days late on my period, I have taken tests everyday and they are negative. I was just wondering how many days before or passed your missed period did you get a positive result on a hpt or blood test? I have got a doctors appointment today at...

View more questions Search