Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepcj7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Briggs and stratton v twin valve problems
    I have a 22hp briggs v twin engine in my mower. My wife was mowing with it and it was running fine. She shut it down and then got back on it 20 min later and it had no power and was blower back through the carburator. I pulled the valve cover on the cylinder that was having problems and found two bent lifter rods. Does anybody know what would cause this. I ordered new rods and will be putting them in and reseting them, but I am troubled by something else being the cause of this. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 08:23 AM

Did you see that it was running fine when she shut it down or were you tolld this? Push rods do not bend while the engine sits idle/off. How is your oil level?

Jun 3, 2010, 09:02 AM
    Good point. Anyway the oil level is right were it is should be.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 07:40 PM

Sounds like your valves stuck ,check your valves guides and make sure they didn't pull out and cause this problem.

Jun 4, 2010, 04:04 PM

If the valve guides have moved can you repair them, or do you need to replace the entire head
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2010, 07:59 AM

You can take the head off and take it to a machine,Most people don't have the tools laying around to fix them.
    Dchandle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2015, 06:43 PM
    I have the same engine with the same problem. 3 times now. Dealer says cam is "probably" warped, also says that 5 years is about as good as it gets before these engines have major problems. Hard to believe since the first one I owned lasted 17 years, this one is in fact only 5 years old.

Have replaced the rods twice now and need to do it a third time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

26HP twin "V" overhead valve Briggs and stratton nightmare! [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be a long post/question, but necessary for everybody to get the whole picture. I purchased 3 (non working) identical 26HP briggs engines. The idea was to get them running, and sell 2 of them, getting the 3rd one free. They are intek 446777 overhead valve engines. I...

Briggs & Stratton 20 hp Twin II [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you. Mower runs about 15 minutes then dies, then backfires really loud. It won't start up again until the next day. Thank you for your help. Wandas

Briggs and Stratton 18 hp opposed twin engine [ 2 Answers ]

Where are the points located on a 18hp opposed twin engine Briggs and Stratton

Briggs stratton 16 hp twin cylinder problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a briggs 16 hp twin I/c model 422707 type 121401 code 9404165b. Engine starts good. But while running about 1/john2 to 3/4 throttle it revs and goes back to idle . Its searching up and down. Anybody got an answer thanks john

View more questions Search