Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiemae Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Odor from minivan A/C
    We have a '97 Chrysler minivan. The last of the summer, the rear A/C started emitting a terrible odor, but the air still cools well:confused: . This literally happened overnight. Front air is fine, heat is fine, but the odor from the rear A/C is unbearable. What & where do I check?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Take a mixture of bleach and water and, using a very large pipe cleaner, clean the evaporator drain tube underneath the car--go way up into it. Your drain could be blocked, from mold and fungus, not allowing condensate to drain.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 9, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae
    We have a '97 Chrysler minivan. The last of the summer, the rear A/C started emitting a terrible odor, but the air still cools well:confused: . This literally happened overnight. Front air is fine, heat is fine, but the odor from the rear A/C is unbearable. What & where do I check?
    If that doesn't work, you will be forced to clean the evaporator itself. There have actually been service bulletins on these vehicles because of the volume of complaints from owners regarding this smell. The evaporator coils are getting smaller and smaller, and seem to be trapping more and more dirt/debris.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird odor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a weird odor of what seemingly smells like rotting food or something dead centered in my kitchen. I've pretty much cleaned everything in the kitchen to within an inch of it's life and still the smell remains. We've checked the fridge/freezer and there is a box of baking soda in there, so...

Looking for a minivan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a mini-van that is economical and realiable. Could anyone recommend one.

Anyone use their laptop to play DVDs for the kids in a minivan? [ 5 Answers ]

Just wanted to know how much wattage I need when I go shopping for one of those power inverters? I have an IBM Thinkpad R51.

Sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

In the last few weeks, there's a sewage odor from the crawl space beneath our house that has got progressively worse. I tried to crawl under but due to health problems I couldn't get to the back of the house. Now I live in Los angeles, so I know it's not a septic tank issue. I'm afraid to call a...

Septic Odor [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 months or so every time we flush the toilet it smells like sewage. It has only gotten worse and worse. It only seems to happen when we flush the toilet and will eventually go away... until we flush again. It stinks up the entire house now. We have tried to put stuff down the...

View more questions Search