Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zimzalabim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Being sued by the bank for an outstanding debt
    The aforesaid total $83,133.61, exclusive of interest. Unless same, together with interest is paid within ten (10) days of the date of this letter, legal proceedings will be instituted against you without further notice.

Can someone tell me what is meant by "legal proceedings will be instituted against you without further notice."? I don't have a dime to give and I don't own any land.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2006, 06:53 PM
    This is a standard collection letter, they expect you to contact them and make payment arrangements to get the debt paid.

If this is one of the first letters you have gotten most likely ( and this is a guess) they will try standard collections, telephone calls, more letters for a while.

But the legal action they are talking about will be a law suit to get a judgement. Once they have a judgement they can attach what little money you have in the bank. Lets say you deposit 500 from a paycheck, they get it before it pays out any checks you write. Letting you bounce a lot of checks.

Then they can get a garnishment of your paycheck getting maybe 25 percent of your paycheck before you get it.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 04:42 AM
    You must dispute their claim within 30 days, or they can proceed to file suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued over credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was recently served over some old credit card debt (about 10K). I am looking for advice on how to best handle this... we are back on our feet again but it kills me to pay for all the excessive penalties and fees. I've also heard that even if I strike a deal with the company, it can come back...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

Sued Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Hey I received I guess you would call it a credit card judgement for a debt I owe of $1700. Plus $ 750.00 Attorney fee for them , I guess... I have a 4 yr old, 5 month old, pregnant again with #3, and unemployed. Just recently got laid off from my previous job of 8 yrs. My husband is the only...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

Wife being sued for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am not from the US and my mother in law told me that the sheriff put a subpoena on her door (for my wife) even though we don't live there anymore. My mother in law says that it has to be delivered in person to the right person, is this true? I wouldn't know. Apparently it is for a...

View more questions Search