Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Medical history and joining army
    Hi, I'm going to MEPS Friday. I had a hernia when I was two years old and I got my wisdom teeth out 2 weeks ago. My recruiter is telling me not to tell the people at MEPS and tell them no I never have had a surgery.

Neither of the surgery's are bad. A baby hernia is nothing serious and nothing that should affect me ever in life. It made one testicle bigger than the other but other than that everything is perfectly fine. And wisdom teeth is nothing unheard of either it's just something minor.

If I tell the truth will they not accept me or what will happen? What should I do? The job position I want has only limited spots and one is reserved to me for a several more days.

I want to tell the truth because my sister who is in the Navy told me that I could get discharged if they ever find out later on.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Truth.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 07:43 PM

I agree and who said you won't be processed because you had surgery. Some surgeries might keep you out like certain types of cancer or spinal surgery.

Jun 2, 2010, 08:00 PM

Will I have to wait for a waiver or anything though? Or will they look at what I wrote down and just say "Oh he had a hernia when he was 2 years old, but everything I saw from him looks fine."?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 09:21 AM

Hard to say what they will say, probably varies from one guy to the next but still tell the truth. If you withhold the info it is considered providing false enlistment information and would be grounds to send you packing. A hernia at the age of 2 should have no impact on your enlistment, wisdom teeth even less.

Jun 9, 2010, 10:01 AM

Thanks guys, I told the truth after debating with myself while there. They had no problems with either of the issues. The doctor at MEPS said about 10% of babies get hernias and that he wasn't concerned about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and [ 1 Answers ]

It's the army movie, I don't know the title. In the movie 6 guys met in the army and their officer name was Sergeant? And one name was Jerome and another name was Epstein or something.. I just remember the movie name has two words. The first one starts with a B and the second also starts with a B....

Joining the Army under the age of 18 [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a child from his previous marriage. He has joing custody. He lives with his mother and myhusband pays child support. The child is 17. He told us the other day that he wants to drop out of High School and joing the Army. I want to know 1) if he can do this at the age of 17 - does...

Workplace requiring complete medical history ? [ 4 Answers ]

My New Jersey employer was recently advised that our health insurance premuims would be going up considerably. Our HR Director called a broker and wants to go with another insurance company. This insurance company, in order to sign us up at the price quoted, wanted all our employees to fill out a...

Finding records of closed adoption at least for medical history [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to find out what I can about my biological parents and half-brother. Not necessarily meet them, I just want to know what type of people they are/were. But if that is not possible I at least would like to know a medical history so I can know what things I may need to be aware of and...

View more questions Search