Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Weedeater faetherlite sst25
    For Crigby or other knowledgeable mowerfolk (made a new word) I do quite a bit of mower and small engine repair as some of you know. However, I have a remarkeably terrible trach record with small 2 cycle carb issues. Most every of my many 2 cycle pieces of equipment drive me nuts with carb issues. I mix the gas and oil to the exact spec, dump at the end of each seaon and run dry. The carb starts to gum up and the engine misses or has to be run on half choke. A carb the siz of my thumb is killing me, what is the cure?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 02:14 PM

Hi bal, in my neck of the woods we have ethanol added to the gas. This has been a killer on all two cycles so much so the marina I deal with figured this out. I myself was working on a 55 Hp Outboard only a couple of years old. It sat for 2 years and wouldn't run right, had to keep re-choking it. I tore the carbs off. The looked brand new. Ripped carbs apart, used 2+2 carb cleaner. Check all ports, floats gaskets etc. Back together no go. I called my friend at the Boat repair shop and he said it's the ethanol addictive.

They had carbs coming back after a 2 week rebuild. He gave me a can of "Sea Foam" and said use the whole can. Started engine and ran it through. It was like Night and day.

There is also an additive for the gas tanks. I use it for my Job cut off saws etc. Naturally the weed whackers got the same treatment.

They way it was explained to me the Carb cleaner won't cut the film residue the ethanol leaves. Actually its all but impossible to see that residue. The problem long term is the 2 cycle won't Lube the cylinders properly and wear out the rings.

If you are using gas with ethanol then I betting its exactly why you have problems.

Personally I never run my gas out of my whackers for winter. My logic is theses rubber diaphragm pumps dries out and doesn't pump the fuel on season start up. I also store the whacker in the warm basement. My cutoff saws are left that way all winter and they do well in spring. Dump old gas out new fuel high test gas and done deal.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

Jun 2, 2010, 02:20 PM

I got it to run but rough with 3/4 ckoke. I added SeaFoam to the fresh gas in the tank and will try to run a tankful. I have a lot of this type of equipment and if you ever meet my wife you will know why I can't store any of it inside the house.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 02:42 PM

The boat motor was the same 3/4 choke on and off.

Boy its not like the old days of the glass sediment catches on mixers/mowers. Remember the paper and glass motor oil.

The Miss's, Luckily I built a good size shop/barn most of the crap is out of site out of mind.

You'll love this. My wife was complaining that I didn't fix the roto tiller to make a new garden. It got tense. So I loaded up a dump with topsoil, dumped it, used the crawler loader to flatten it out for a raised garden bed and said Done... Now I have time to fix the tiller hhhh

Get back sometime and let me know how it all pans out..

Jun 15, 2010, 11:53 AM

Any other thoughts out there on 2 cycle carb treatment and care?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 04:15 PM

Hi,
    WeedEater brand uses mostly use Walbro carbs and for some reason come with that silver Dutch twill screen. It can be told by the color and the fact that is very stiff. The screen that are brass-colored are standard and should be used as a replacement. It cloggs at a hint of dirt.
    Breakdowns are found here:
    Select an Engine [Frontstep Customer Center 5 Frontstep, Inc.]
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sst25 weed eater, stalling when in run [ 1 Answers ]

I have the featherlite weed eater 25cc, I just changed the spark plug, gas is OK, it starts OK in full choke, and runs at medium. Choke but when I put it to run.. it dies or stalls, Can someone help me on this.. problem

Reloading weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a RYOBI 725 weedeater, how do you replace the line when it runs out?:confused:

Help with Weedeater [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a weedeater LT-7000, that has been giving me trouble lately, it runs real rough and wants to stall at full throttle, after cleaning the carb, muffler and port,and air filter,I recently discovered the fuel lines that run through the gas tank are broken inside the tank and I am not...

Weedeater [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Weedeater model XT 20T. A month ago when it last worked the engine would konk out. I was able to finish the job after several restarts. Finally wouldn't start at all. I replaced the deteriated fuel line, put a new spark plug in it, used fresh gas, and cleaned the air filter. Still...

View more questions Search