Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jun 3, 2010, 11:10 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice, I forgot to add I also use white wine along with the tomato sauce and water... maybe I just should have cooked it longer on lower heat and I had thought about cutting it up some more also but I didn't, maybe that would have helped also.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2010, 05:25 AM

I agree with everything KP said. He is one smart foodie! I just would like to add... keep it simple. You don't want your marinade or rub to cover up the flavor of the meat. The meat is the star, whatever you are putting on it should enhance the flavor not mask it.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2010, 11:52 AM

I just browned 4 1" thick seasoned 7 bone chuck steaks, threw in an onion and 4 potatoes quartered, scrubbed with my scrubby pad :)with a bottle of boars head beer and a little dry Marsala (just for fun) in the big crock pot and set it on low. Lets see what happens.:D

I need to go back and add some whole cloves of garlic;)
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jun 6, 2010, 02:59 PM

JD sounds delicious!
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2010, 04:41 PM

It was really good and tonight I am using the leftovers to make Au gratin potatoes (with a mixture of cheese I had in the fridge) and I made a great Roman bread from a recipe from Italy of 60 years old.

I'm using the leftover beef to make sandwiches with avocado and tomato:)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    ... and I made a great Roman bread from a recipe from Italy of 60 years old.
    Love that. Love old recipes.

Love to work in the garden and use shared plants... the primrose and hostas from auntie's... the peony's from poppies and ginny's... the bits and pieces of nature from friends and family in the garden... split and shared and grown and again passed on...

Likewise with recipes.

My ex's father called my homemade red sauce pasta dish serbian-irish bastachina. Of course it was his family recipe, but I just didn't do something quite "right"... (turns out it was the olive oil)... but, of course, my son loves it tried and true...

Love old recipes... might not always trust 'em... that they are really the real deal... that steps and skips and add in's aren't absent... burned too many times by old recipe cards that only represent the dish before it was perfected... but its still fun to have on file.
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2010, 04:43 PM

KP
    I also love what you were talking about with the plants and trees. I walk through the yard and can identify where everything came from and when. It's a great feeling knowing this friend gave you a clipping of that and the neighbor gave you this. I also have stuff that was just from ideas from where I was visiting. I have an Arbor of Roses that I needed to have after being on a trip to Alaska and a front yard area that hard to be transformed to remind me of my trip to Spain. It was a lot of hard work for me, but I had a goal and now I see things everyday that I love.

Although I do have some things donated to me that have only given me heartache, but you live and learn.:) I still see some of those daily.

Edit: My Grannys recipe for potato rolls was never complete and we are all still trying to figure out how she tweaked it to get it to such perfection
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    Edit: My Grannys recipe for potato rolls was never complete and we are all still trying to figure out how she tweaked it to get it to such perfection
    I have my grandmothers homemade stew... even learned to cook it standing beside her.

Just never the same. I swear she must have dipped her elbow in the pot when we weren't looking... mine's fine. Pretty standard and pedestrian. Her's was killer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A six -sided cubed [ 6 Answers ]

a six-sided cube is rolled. Find the probability of P(4)

Beef Stew in the Crock Pot [ 33 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good recipe for beef stew made in a crock pot? Do I need to brown the meat first? I really don't need/want anything too complicated, just some veggies and a recipe that's going to yield a thick, rich gravy! What's the best way to ensure that the meat turns out tender and not...

Slow Cooker Beef Stew [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone have a really good beef stew recipe for a slow cooker?? I am just learning how to cook. Do you have to brown the meat before putting It in the slow cooker?? I feel like an idiot, Please help...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

Burnt  beef vegetable stew [ 1 Answers ]

I made a few gallons of beef stew. My cooking pot stuck to the stove element and now the stew has a burnt smell although none of the beef, potatoes or vegetables are burned. Help!! Carol :'( :'(

View more questions Search