Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2010, 10:31 PM
    Cubed beef stew meat
    Ok so I've never cooked this meat, but I decided to buy it and cook it the other day, but some of the chunks came out really pink in the middle, some didn't... I didn't eat the light pink chunks, I through those out, Is this normal ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 10:35 PM
    How did you cook it?

Jun 1, 2010, 10:37 PM

First I browned it with some garlic and onions and peppers on medium-high heat then I added some water and tomato sauce set to High heat for a few minutes and then lowered to medium low for about 30-45 minutes.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2010, 07:28 AM

It should have been cooked by then, but the longer you cook it the more tender it will become (like stew meat) it is beef, so pink is OK, but probably a little tougher.:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 07:41 AM

Hello M:

In recent years, there's been massive changes in our meat. National brands have pushed out the local ones. Labels don't tell you ANYTHING anymore, and the USDA grading of the meat is no longer required to be on the label.

Plus, when you buy a generic meat, like "stew" or "hamburger", you have NO idea what you're getting... Stew meat is what's left over once the more identifiable cuts have been taken. You have NO idea what part of the carcass is used...

The result may very well be uneven cooking, like you're experiencing. To avoid that, buy a roast and cut your own stew meat. A top round will work, and it's cheap.

excon

Jun 2, 2010, 11:15 PM

Just Dahlia, yes it was pretty tough some parts were more tender than others..

excon, good idea, like a chuck roast? That's known to be the most tender right ? WOW I did not know that about the stew meat being left overs, that's horrible to think of! I'm glad you shared that.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 11:33 PM
    I use stew meat for, well, uhm, stew... but I completely agree with ex... you just have NO idea of the actual cut of meat used to make it...

I like your start... browning with garlic and onions and peppers... nothing wrong there.

Acidic foodstuffs, like the tomato, will break down the meat over time... but maybe you were too quick to cook for this blend. And too much acid for too long makes meat mush, for some palates.

Look... I've gone both ways... I've bought the store bought I-dont-know-the-blend-of-meat-but-ill-try-it-anyway package and I've cut up a piece o' red that I bought, trimmed, and cubed.

Honestly... most of the time id rather be a little lazy... live with the store cut... though I still trim it and piece it to smaller sizes as I feel most stew meat is cut way too big... and I let it simmer at a lower temp for longer...

So... if you are really bothered, seek out a good local butcher and tell him/her your problem... a good butcher who will work with you isn't quite as good as a good mechaninc... and not the same as an awesome nurse who can tell you your toes from your tonsils... but its still nice, in my opinion, to have a couple of trusted butcher shops around... especially when holidays hit.

I have one I love and another I like a lot in my area... when in doubt, ill talk to them... they know I could go to any big box store or big grocery 24/7... they're more than happy to tell me what I want and need and have to have.

So... while I'm thinking lower heat and longer cooking, wheither its stovetop or crockpot, couldve solved your problem... or a better choice in meat... its still worth making a new relationship or two with a couple of independent local butchers.

Jun 2, 2010, 11:55 PM

Well I am a single mother that works full-time, overnights, so I usually try to take the easy way out being that I don't have a lot of time to even cook, but I'll try the other method of buying the roast and trimming as well as cutting it and saving the rest in the freezer I'm sure it will last.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
    Crock pots can change your life.

Jus' saying.

I might be the daddy that cooked all the meals before the big D happened, but a slow cooker is absolutely worth its weight in liras. Put it on low as you leave for work... check it out when you come back home.
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Crock pots are amazing if you don't have time to cook. As KP said, you can put it on when you go to work... or my favorite... I put my food in as soon as I get home in the morning and let it cook all day while I sleep. Thus the good food is ready to plate up and take to work for the 1am dinner feast.

My crock pot gets more use than my stove does.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 07:48 AM

Crockpots are the best invention! Stew in a crockpot is just so yummy. Here is my family favorite.

2lbs of stew meat (we butcher our own so we know where it comes from :)

3 carrots
    3 stalks of celery
    1 large onion
    3 potatoes
    2 portabello mushrooms sliced thick
    1 small can of V8 juice
    4 tablespoons of flour

Brown the meat just like you did and then throw everything in the crockpot on low for 8 - 9 hours.
    Dinner is served!
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 07:52 AM
    I've never tried it with V8... That'll be my next stew for sure!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarMar27 View Post
    excon, good idea, like a chuck roast? that's known to be the most tender right ?
    Hello again, Mar:

Chuck might work just fine. I make pot roast out of chuck. Actually, my pot roast and beef stew aren't too different...

But, in terms of tenderness, NEITHER of those cuts are tender. That's why they need to be cooked low and slow. But, chuck has all that fat and collagen that breaks down into juicy tender bites... Top round doesn't have any fat OR collagen...

Nope. I think you're right. I'd use chuck.

excon
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

Chuck might work just fine.

I'd use chuck.
    You better ask Chuck first! :p

Jun 3, 2010, 04:01 PM

Yeah I Think I'll get one this weekend seems like everyone has one, I work 7 pm until 3:30 am.

Jun 3, 2010, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the recipe tuscany, I usually make a sauce with tomato sauce and bay leaves and some seasonings, I will try the V8 also, so Top round is more tender rather than the chuck ?
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Thanks for the recipe tuscany, I usually make a sauce with tomato sauce and bay leaves and some seasonings, I will try the V8 also, so Top round is more tender rather than the chuck ?
    My opinion is that any piece of meat properly cooked can be tender or tenderish-ish...

Chuck has more connective tissue... cooked low and slow, I think it is superior... but you need to give time for the connective tissue to "melt"...
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 09:43 PM
    I will try the V8 also
    And anything with acidity... like tomato juice or the like, will "tenderize" the meat..

Now... some foodies don't like too much acidic tenderizing... might claim it makes the meat more like mush... but its not uncommon to use some acidic compoment to help some meats tenderize.

Jun 3, 2010, 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    and anything with acidity... like tomato juice or the like, will "tenderize" the meat..

now... some foodies dont like too much acidic tenderizing... might claim it makes the meat more like mush... but its not uncommon to use some acidic compoment to help some meats tenderize.

What do you usually use to tenderize ? And I will try the top round first, see how that goes.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2010, 10:06 PM
    Honestly... it depends on the meat.

Not trying to complicate it, but it can be complicated.

For ex... if I grill flank steak for fajitas, I do nothing in terms of tenderizing, but I cut it thin, on the bias at an angle. The way the meat is cut makes a difference... same with brisket.

For tough meats, its almost always best to just do low and slow.

If I try to tenderize, I use something with an acid for a time... lemon or lime, for ex. Dry rubs only impart flavor, but do nothing to tenderize...

Again... the thing is to think about the chemistry... acidic things, like citrus... lemons, limes, oranges, tomatoes, pineapple juice... can help break down collagen... which is the stuff that holds stuff together... and if you break it down, the meat is more tender... less "stuff" holding it together..

So...

Here's the deal. I just don't work too hard with stew meat. I expect it to take time to cook. Low and slow is best... also... much of the time I find the meat sold in stores is just too big... I might cut it again at home in half or quarters and might trim off any white crap...

So... what have we learned?

I talk much too much. I like ellipses. And I like to cook, preferably with a nice glass of wine nearby. Stew meat gets little to no effort from me... though you could use a good tenderizing tool on it if you want. Again... some wouldn't care, some people are picky. I'm less picky... if I use a tenderizing tool on a piece of meat, its basically mechanically "taking the first few bites"... making it seem more tender...

I don't care... if I'm making chicken strips from a thick breast, I'm going to cut it horizontally and tenderize or at least flatten it some. Its helps and I don't get annoyed.

Likewise... if its stew meat, I'm just not all that vested. I might take a little time to cube it all into smaller, uniform sizes... but I really don't ever tenderize it too much on the front side. The vegetable beef stew I make is best when cooked low over time... and a little tomato juice in the mix can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A six -sided cubed [ 6 Answers ]

a six-sided cube is rolled. Find the probability of P(4)

Beef Stew in the Crock Pot [ 33 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good recipe for beef stew made in a crock pot? Do I need to brown the meat first? I really don't need/want anything too complicated, just some veggies and a recipe that's going to yield a thick, rich gravy! What's the best way to ensure that the meat turns out tender and not...

Slow Cooker Beef Stew [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone have a really good beef stew recipe for a slow cooker?? I am just learning how to cook. Do you have to brown the meat before putting It in the slow cooker?? I feel like an idiot, Please help...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

Burnt  beef vegetable stew [ 1 Answers ]

I made a few gallons of beef stew. My cooking pot stuck to the stove element and now the stew has a burnt smell although none of the beef, potatoes or vegetables are burned. Help!! Carol :'( :'(

View more questions Search