Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chantelii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
    What was the purpose of the manhattan project?
    What's the prpose
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 06:44 PM

Do you mean the Manhattan Project that developed the bombs for use on Japan?

Tell me you are kidding, how could you not know.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Is this homework? We don't do homework for other members. Please Google the term. I'm sure Wikipedia has a good article about it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 07:13 PM

Don, he might not know since his parents probably weren't even born yet. We date ourselves, don't we bud. Wodergirl's on the right track. He should be on the homework help desk or Wiki. Maybe reading his text will help too.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Wodergirl
    I sort of like that -- Wodergirl. Sounds like a Norse super-goddess.

Jun 2, 2010, 06:41 AM

Ya hey dere, vood you like anyting ells?

Jun 2, 2010, 07:27 AM

Bob, I understand your response.

I get very frustrated with folks, like my nephew, who have no concept of history at all.

For example, I was talking with Joe and the topic brushed against the conflicts between the American Indians and the U.S. Government. He was very proud of the fact (I am not kidding with you) that never did the Indians win any major battle over the U.S.Calvary.

When I asked him if he ever heard of the Little Big Horn he said no. I then asked if he ever heard of Gen. Armstrong Custer, again he said no.

I asked if he ever took a class on American History and he said yes. By the way, Joe was in college at the time. I told him to Google Gen. Custer and then come back and talk to me about just how great the American Calvary was.

You know, he still has not taken the time to learn. ***********

Joe was educated (?) here in the S.E.Corner of VA. You can't swing a cat around withot tripping over military history.

Jun 2, 2010, 09:56 AM

Worked in and around school for 35 years. General Custer is lightly covered but the Manhatten project isn't covered at all. Believe it or not the atomic bombs get less than Custer, sure WWII is covered in some detail but the bombs get about one paragraph.

Jun 2, 2010, 01:28 PM
    That's part of the shame of our education system. One event was a stand-alone event that all by itself proved that we can be a dense as anyone else.

The other changed a nation and the world even as it is now and is considered un-remarkable. Go figure :)
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2010, 01:03 PM

Courtesy of http://people.ucsc.edu.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jun 4, 2010, 07:07 PM

But please be clear, the bomb was not specifically developed for use on Japan. The basis for the project was laid years before the US was even involved in the war.

Jun 5, 2010, 11:37 AM

Since the bombs development started prior to WWII I think we can all agree with you. It may actually been a thought to use it againist Germany since we knew they were trying to devlope their own bomb in 1939.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jun 5, 2010, 07:34 PM

Sorry for the multi posts. The board didn't seem to be functioning. Yes, the effort was started based on fears of European scientists that the Germans would gain the technology. They tried but went down the wrong technical path.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chase Manhattan Bank is Suing Me! [ 4 Answers ]

I am writing with hope that I can find a way out of this situation without losing my car or having to claim bankruptcy. SITUATION: 1. I am a self employed resident of Massachusetts and had a Chase Manhattan credit card issued to me in March 2002 with a $10,000 credit limit. After a divorce and...

How much tax will I pay in Manhattan on J1 Visa? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I recently strted work in Manhattan at a Private School in the City as a teacher. I am on a J1 Visa and am covering a maternity leave until January. I am a citizen of Ireland but a resident of Italy. I have a job in Italy and will be returning there in January. Nobody including my employer...

About Le Club in Manhattan [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone knows that club. During the 70's it was on 54th street East Manhattan. Tell me about it, and if you know a web site.

Chase Manhattan Bank wiles [ 1 Answers ]

My wife decided to stop using and close her 6 credit cards totaling $80,000 in 2002. When she informed the credit companies of what she was doing she also stated that she was going to only pay on the ones she could afford to pay. I as a new husband to her in 2002 I gave her enough cash so she could...

View more questions Search