Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissiegraves Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 06:12 AM
    Can my 16 yr old daughter leave care and come home
    My 16 yr old daughter wants to leave the care home she is in and come home to me I am OK with this but I am also worried about what social services will do if she does as she is 16 do they have any legal rights over her as I still have parental responsibility
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 06:33 AM

Need a little info - why is she in foster care? Court Order, agreement, something else?

What do you mean by "legal rights over her"?

May 31, 2010, 08:55 AM
    I had a breakdown and her and her siblings were taken from me by the courts but she is not happy where she is what I want to know is if she wants to leave can they stop her
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissiegraves View Post
    i had a breakdown and her and her siblings were taken from me by the courts but she is not happy where she is what i want to know is if she wants to leave can they stop her
    How are you doing now? Are you still getting some kind of mental health care? Have you talked with your psychiatrist or health care worker about your daughter returning to live with you?

May 31, 2010, 10:43 AM

No but I am on medication and am stronger now then before
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 31, 2010, 08:33 PM
    If there was a court order to remove the children from their home, you would have to most likely deal with the CPS or CAS if you are in Canada, in order for them to evaluate the situation at home, and recommend the children be returned to you.

Are you in regular touch with a Social Worker as to how your children are doing?

I am wondering why, if you feel strong enough to have one child home, when or what has been planned for the return of the others.

I would contact your worker to let her know what is going on with the 16 year old if she doesn't know already. For your daughter to just come home without them knowing may not be the best idea. Try instead to just be upfront and honest with them, and that you feel ready to resume the responsibilities of parenting your child/children.

I hope that you continue to get well, and you will all be back together in the near future.

Take good care of yourself.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2010, 05:34 AM

OUt of greenies, Jake - but excellent, well said.

And, yes, let's hope the OP keeps things together and gets her children "back " (if that is in the best interest of the children).

I wonder where the father is in all of this and what part he played.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I set up a Nursing Home Care Agency using my own home in the UK? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I set up a Nursing Home Care Agency using my own home in the UK?

In Texas foster care can a child leave when they are 17 [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 16 in foster care in Texas I live in louisana she will be 17 in in June can she emancipate her self at 17 out of the system?

Health care & home care [ 2 Answers ]

How do I set up health care & Home care agency?

My daughter left home to leave with boyfriend the minute she turned 21 [ 5 Answers ]

She was going to college. She met this 23 years old guy in a cruise in the summer of 2007. In the fall she left home to leave with him in a different state. My wife and I were heartbroken. We did not know where she was. After a couple of days , I tracked her down, met her she did not want to come...

18F in care with a baby want to leave but can't. [ 10 Answers ]

OK well to start things off I'm doing a little research for my sister. I'm 21 and grew up in care also. Never had anything wrong against the family I lived with. My sister still lives with the same family. She is currently 18 years old and has a 2 week old baby. She wants to move into her...

View more questions Search