Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 06:47 AM
    Xmas Dinner try something new!
    Does anyone have any other thoughts??

Rosemary Garlic Roast Turkey
    By Evelyn Raab
    This recipe belongs to the following categories:

ChristmasDinnerHealthyLunchMain CoursesMake AheadThanksgiving

If Italians had invented roast turkey, it would turn out something like this. Wonderfully fragrant with garlic and rosemary, this savory roast turkey makes an impressive holiday feast that's sure to wow your guests.

Ingredients
    12 to 15 lb. 5.5 to 7 kg. whole turkey, fully defrosted if frozen
    8 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/4 cup 50 mL chopped fresh rosemary (or 2 tbsp./30 mL dried)
    1/4 cup 50 mL olive oil
    1 tbsp. 15 mL coarse salt
    1 tsp. 5 mL black pepper

Cooking Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C).

2. In a small bowl or food processor, mash together garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper so that it forms a thick paste.

3. By hand, gently pull the skin away from the turkey breast at the front of the breast (near the neck opening) to form a sort of pocket. Rub some of the rosemary garlic paste onto the breast meat under the skin, reaching in as far as you can without tearing the skin. Rub the remaining rosemary garlic paste all over the skin of the turkey and in the cavity. Add the stuffing, if you're using it, and place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and tie the legs together with kitchen string.

4. Place the turkey into the preheated oven. Do not cover the pan. Roast, basting every 15 to 20 minutes with the pan juices, until a meat thermometer inserted into the inner thigh reaches 170° F (77° C) and the juices run clear when the thigh is pricked with a skewer. This will take anywhere from 3 to 4 1/4 hours (depending on the size of the turkey and whether it is stuffed or not). The only definite way to know if the turkey is cooked is by using a meat thermometer. Remove roasting pan from the oven and let the turkey rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before carving.

5. Serve turkey with pan juices or use the juices to make gravy (recipe follows).

Rosemary garlic gravy

1/4 cup 50 mL fat from the roasting pan

1/4 cup 50 mL flour

2 cups 500 mL defatted turkey pan juices, turkey broth, water, or a combination

In a saucepan, combine the fat from the roasting pan and flour. Cook, stirring to eliminate any lumps, for just a minute or two. Whisk in turkey juices, broth or whatever liquid you're using and cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens. Let simmer over low heat, whisking occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.

Sounds quite tasty! I will have to try this one.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 9, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Now that sounds really good.
    An excellent wine to go with this would be a top class Chianti Classico Reserva, look for the Black Cockerel on the neck label.

The Sangiovese grape makes wonderful rich berry fruit wines with a hint of herby notes.
    The extra age on the Reserva wines would compliment this dish very well.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Does anybody have any more recipes??
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 04:13 PM
    We always do a beef dish... have between 12-18 people most of the time.

Usually prime rib roast, sometimes new yourk strip roast, would like to do chateaubriand sometimes, as it is sooooo easy to cook (though all of the roasts I'm talking about cost major change).

Rack of lamb with a mustard coating and champagne sauce rocks... do this often at new years... any excuse to open bottles of champagne.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Does anybody have any more recipes????
    This is a good one, serve with a spicy zinfandel or bordeaux, (Marinate a day before, the pork)

Pork- 2 - 3 1/3 pound boneless pork loin roast (tied together)
    1/2 c E.V. olive oil
    2 tbsp chopped sage
    2 tbsp chopped thyme
    2 tbsp chopped rosemary
    1 tbsp sea salt/ 2 tsp ground black pepper
    3 oz thinly slice Pancetta (Italian cured bacon)

Jam- 4 c dry red wine
    3 c water
    48 dried black mission figs, (12 ounces) found by raisins in most supermarkets) stemmed, and cut into 1/4" cubes
    2 cups sugar1/2 c fresh lemon juice

For Jam- Bring all ingredients to boil in large pan, over medium heat, stirring constantly till sugar dissolves. Boil mixture till thick and reduce to 4 cups, stirring occasionally about 45 minutes, transfer jam to bowl, cool, cover and refrigerate. RIGHT BEGORE USE, LET STAND AT ROOM TEMP,

Pork-Puree olive oil, sage, thyme, rosemary, sea salt and pepper in processor till almost smooth- Place pork in large roasting pan, rub mixture over both roasts- cover with plastice wrap and refrigerate overnite.

Preheat oven to 400 degree, sprinkle pork with salt and pepper, place pancetta slcies on tio of the port, overlapping. Roast till meat thermometer in center of pork read 145 degrees, about 1 1/2 hrs, transfer pork to platter, meats temp, will rise about 5 more degrees. Remove string and let stand 15-30 minutes before slicing. Serve pork with fig jam. Very moist, tender and sweet, (if you've never cooked with figs before!! ):cool:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Any more??
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2006, 06:23 AM
    We usually do a beef tenderloin with a 3 pepper marinade... let me go pull out the recipe and I will get back to you.

Curly - Sangiovese blends and Chianti are my two most favorite Italian wines.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Probably because Chianti is made with the Sangiovese grape

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rehearsal dinner [ 4 Answers ]

My son is getting married soon. My daughter in law to be says that no one except the people involved in the rehearsal should come to the rehearsal dinner. All the rehearsal dinners I have ever been to, the spouses are invited to join the dinner. (Such as the minister's wife, etc.) What is...

Going to be at the same dinner out with ex! [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all, well have not been on here for a while have not really felt like I needed to. But last week had a bit of a drama I had an email from my ex saying how much he misses me like crazy and how he sometimes thinks about us talking our problems through and being happy again.. then sent another...

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

Floresent dinner [ 2 Answers ]

I have three futures in my kitchen . They have 2, 30 watt bulbs in them my wife says They are to bright, and wants a dimmer on them . Question. Can I but a dimmer switch on them ,and where can I get one? They are fluorescent bulbs

Dinner invitation? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies...

View more questions Search