Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rose9080 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2010, 05:55 PM
    Getting the house after divorce with disabled child
    My husband left 4 years ago because of his affair I'm I was left to bring the 3 children up 1 who is severely disabled and needs me to do everything for her, she is now 15 years old and he never sees her... would I be able to get the house in a divorce settlement the mortgage is in his name only
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 31, 2010, 03:24 PM

Probably yes.
    It may depend on whether it is marital property or not.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 31, 2010, 04:11 PM

Are you receiving SSD for you child at this time?

May 31, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Are you recieving SSD for you child at this time?
    Hi, I don't know what ssd is lol

May 31, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Probably yes.
    It may depend on whether it is marital property or not.
    Hi, yes it's the marital home.. but the mortgage is in his name only althouth we do have joint life insurance poilcys on it and also have just paid a lump sum of the mortgage with endowment policy :)
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 31, 2010, 04:54 PM

Social Security Disability Insurance. Would your husband agree to you keeping the house, for your daughter? When I got divorced, my husband agreed to let me keep the house as long as I wanted/needed it, and agreed to paying the bills and contractual alimony. Divorce settlements are easy when the couple agrees on it.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 31, 2010, 04:55 PM

SSD=SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY
    The divorce decree can specify what will happen with the house in the future.

May 31, 2010, 05:10 PM
    [QUOTE=thisisit;2373941]Social Security Disability Insurance. Would your husband agree to you keeping the house, for your daughter? When I got divorced, my husband agreed to let me keep the house as long as I wanted/needed it, and agreed to paying the bills and contractual alimony. Divorce settlements are easy when the couple agrees on it.[/Q

Hi. No he would't be happy about me having the house... he would like to see me with nothing
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rose9080 View Post
    hi, i don't know what ssd is lol
    I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that you have a severely disabled child and don't know what SSD is. Her doctors, social services, school, etc. should have mentioned SSD to you long ago.

If he left 4 years ago, what has been happening in the interim?

It doesn't matter who's name the mortgage is in, it matters the names on the deed. You really need to consult an attorney

May 31, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm sorry but I have a hard time beleiving that you have a severely disabled child and don't know what SSD is. Her doctors, social services, school, etc. should have mentioned SSD to you long ago.

If he left 4 years ago, what has been happening in the interim?

It doesn't matter who's name the mortgage is in, it matters the names on the deed. You really need to consult an attorney
    Hi, she gets all the benefits that she's intitled to highest rate motability and disability living allowance, and I get carers allowance... but I've never heard of ssd is it for older children she's only 15
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2010, 05:31 PM

SSD is for anyone permanently and totally disabled. I suggest you try to familairize yourself with what's she's getting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My child father doesn't have to pay child support due to being disabled can [ 14 Answers ]

Can I get SSI for my child if the father don't have to pay child support due to being disabled? What all proof do I need to show when applying? How long does everything take?

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

Divorce and Disabled [ 2 Answers ]

Ok.. can't find this anywhere on your site. My husband and I live in upstate NY. He has decided he wants a divorce. This is after I have lived with his cheating throughout our 30 year marriage because of our kids. Since our kids have moved on.. we have stayed together due to the grand kids. Yes.. I...

View more questions Search