Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

May 30, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Is Accounting all about maths and economics?
    Hi,
    I am interested in accounting.But I was not very good in maths and economics.Yet... I still have the zeal to do accounting.Is it all about maths and econs?If I get a good tutor and put effort,can I make it?
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

May 30, 2010, 11:16 AM
    I think the biggest factor that will influence your success is your zest for the field. If you're really "interested in accounting", and you "have the zeal to do accounting", you're going to do fine.

Don't sweat the math and econ. You'll find that advanced knowledge of either is only required in very small and specialized subsets of accounting. Basic math, through grade-school algebra, will be plenty for almost all accounting purposes, and the vast majority of jobs in the accounting field have no prerequisites of higher math or econ.

I'm not saying accounting is easier--it's just a different skill set. In in its own right, it's challenging and demanding--more or less so depending on how far you take it. But if you're really interested in it, the words "challenging and demanding" are just another way of saying "intriguing, rewarding, and actually pretty cool". Accounting will give you a detailed view into the inner workings of businesses and corporations in a way that no other profession does.

(Disclosure: I'm a bit biased since I was a CPA in a former life. That said, though, I think it's a terrific choice for anyone who's so inclined and motivated.) ;) Good luck!

May 30, 2010, 09:49 PM

Thnak you so so much!
    I think I will take your advice!I have been thinking about this for over 5 months.And I just needed to hear something that would motivate me.
    Sincerely,I thought it was all about macro econs and further maths! But I won't give up... I won't.I will go for it and I will make it!
    Wow! So "were" a CPA?Good for you.Hope to make it there in a few years to come.
    Thank you so very much.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2010, 03:25 AM

Just some added comments. The schooling itself will require some math, because they will make you take classes you will never, ever use. But that is true of ANY major in school, right? In real life, we do not use much beyond arithmetic. There is analytical thinking involved, but if you like accounting, then you should like that sort of analytical thinking, right? But the math itself is mostly arithmetic and some percentages and such. Really nothing beyond jr high level. I used very basic algebra only on rare occasions. (I now only teach it, including math, so yeah I get into that stuff more now, but not when I was actually doing accounting.)

If you do not like math, then do not specialize in something like managerial accounting. You will discover what you do and do not like from the classes. So you may choose to do financial accounting. A CPA is a financial accountant, and maybe taxes and auditing. (A managerial accountant is a CMA, something no one has heard of cause it doesn't have the word "public" in it.)

Econ isn't in there anywhere. I hated econ too if that makes you feel better. LOL. And I NEVER used it on the job. They're both business, but not the same subject. Econ is useful for figuring out when politicians are lying to you, but not terribly useful for accounting. (Unless you get into some unusual job, and you don't have to do that.)

Sounds like you should do the financial accounting, or maybe even taxes. The complication in taxes is all the rules, not the math. (It's still basic business math, believe it or not.) Or even just a high level bookkeeper. A high level bookkeeper is creeping into a junior level accountant.

You'll figure out more what you like while in school. And when you hit a snag, there's always AskMeHelpDesk. :D Whatever you do, good luck! Motivation is a really strong key to doing anything.

Jun 8, 2010, 08:23 PM

Thank you so much for the answers so far.I am really grateful.However,I still have another question based on your answer.
    You said the complication in taxes is not the math but rather the rules.
    Tell me... I am studying in the US and that means I will be dealing with American rules.So what happens if I intend to practice abroad?Do I have to study the new set of rules that apply to the country in question?
    Your help is once more needed.
    Thanks!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jun 9, 2010, 04:38 AM
    'Fraid so. Each country has its own body of tax rules and regulations, and to practice in any given jurisdiction you'll need to be up to speed on the tax law applicable to such country.

The good news is that much of the expertise you develop in the tax law of (say) the US is at least partially portable to other countries, with merely an adaptation in the details required. This is because taxation in various countries stands on a lot of common ground, when it comes to the fundamental principles. Where countries tend to differ is in how those basic ideas are specifically applied.

Not saying that becoming a whiz at the tax law of Country A automatically qualifies you to practice in Country B, but think of this spreadsheet analogy: You spend a couple of years becoming an Excel master, then decide to learn a different spreadsheet program. With the Excel background, learning the new one will be a cakewalk.

Also, with business transactions becoming ever-increasingly cross-border, it might be the case that being 'bi-lingual' in the language of tax law puts you ahead of the crowd, career-wise.

Best of success to you!

Jun 9, 2010, 09:49 AM

Thanks once again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have problem with this question. Hope you can find a solution for this question. Philip, the proprietor of a vineyard, estimates at the first 10000 bottles of wine produce this season will fetch a profit of $5 per bottle. However, the profit from each bottle beyond 10000 drop by $0.0002...

Economics [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking micro and macro economics in college.I would like to find out if there web sites that I can use to help with my studies.I work part time to sustain myself so my time to study is being comprmised most days. Thanks for sharing Karen

View more questions Search