Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

May 30, 2010, 04:42 AM
    True Christians & False Christians
    Hi evereyone,

When searching for true Christian followers of Jesus, how can we tell them apart from those who claim to follow Christ?

Thank you,

Hope12
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 30, 2010, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12 View Post
    Hi evereyone,

When searching for true Christian followers of Jesus, how can we tell them apart from those who claim to follow Christ?

Thank you,

Hope12
    Hi Hope12,

I think you will find everyone makes mistakes, but perhaps the truest "test", although perhaps simplistic, is whether a person who claims to be a Christian actually tries to practice what they preach in regard to how they live their life and how they treat others.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2010, 06:09 AM

The fact is you can't, since you can't tell what is in their heart.

We see the religious leaders of Jesus days, so pious, living the law, so to the outside world they were the greatest religious people of all time, but to Jesus they showed nothing

Even the bible tells us the story of the wheat and the weeds which grow up together but can not be divided till the end.
    So the example of the church, that there is always non christians in all the churches, appearing to be what they are not
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
    Hi evereyone,

Thank you,

Hope12
    Matthew 7:20
    Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

May 30, 2010, 08:31 PM

It is so hard to get answer of this question. There is so much sin we are living in these days, that in spite of our the best efforts we end up sinning a lot, knowing or unknowing, by the end of the day.

I just can not get the verse out of my mind, Matthew 7:21-23 (NKJV) "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

My understanding about this verse is that even if we see someone healing people and casting out demons is not proved to be a true Christians that's why Jesus asked him to "Depart from Me", then I do not know what would a layman do, because I take a healer as a special man of God whom HE has blessed abundently with gifts of healing and casting out demons.
    Donna Mae II Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

May 31, 2010, 02:05 AM
    Thank you,
    Hope12
    As was said before, "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

The problem is, how do we know what to look for?

By studying God's word.

"Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:17-18

1 John 4:1
    "Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

4:4
    "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood."

Knowledge comes from God and studying His word. We need to know God's word so we can stand aganst false teachers.

Ephesians 6:10-13
    "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes . For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With all this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

If we are in Christ and do the will of God, then we have faith that God will guide us. We know that Christ is our Savior, and if we put Him first, He will protect us from these false Christians (teachers), but we need His armor that is His word.

Study the Bible, don't let someone lead you down the wide path. If you know God's word and write it on your heart, you won't be led astray by false teachers.

May 31, 2010, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Mae II View Post
    As was said before, "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

The problem is, how do we know what to look for?

By studying God's word.

"Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:17-18

1 John 4:1
    "Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

4:4
    "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood."

Knowledge comes from God and studying His word. We need to know God's word so we can stand aganst false teachers.

Ephesians 6:10-13
    "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes . For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With all this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

If we are in Christ and do the will of God, then we have faith that God will guide us. We know that Christ is our Savior, and if we put Him first, He will protect us from these false Christians (teachers), but we need His armor that is His word.

Study the Bible, don't let someone lead you down the wide path. If you know God's word and write it on your heart, you won't be led astray by false teachers.

Hello,

John 15; 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.KJV

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.KJV

How am I to understand these verses that Jesus himself stated? Jesus said his followers would be no part of the world, yet religious leaders bless soldiers that kill. All nations are loved by Jesus, are they not?

Thank you.
    Hope12

May 31, 2010, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    It is so hard to get answer of this question. There is so much sin we are living in these days, that inspite of our the best efforts we end up sinning a lot, knowing or unknowing, by the end of the day.

I just can not get the verse out of my mind, Matthew 7:21-23 (NKJV) "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

My understanding about this verse is that even if we see someone healing people and casting out demons is not proved to be a true Christians that's why Jesus asked him to "Depart from Me", then I do not know what would a layman do, because I take a healer as a special man of God whom HE has blessed abundently with gifts of healing and casting out demons.
    Hello.

I understand this to mean that true prophets make known their faith in Jesus, but more is required than claiming to preach in his name. Many have been disillusioned by the hypocrisy of the churches, which claim to teach God’s Word but fail to live in harmony with what it says.
    As to many religious leaders today claim to heal or cast out demons only bring two questions to my mind:
    1- Is miraculous healing in our day done by means of the spirit of God?
    2-Can the ability to perform miracles come from a source other than the true God?
    Matthew 7: 21-23 gives a person a lot to meditate on, doesn’t it?

Good Answer Triund!

Thank you,
    Hope12
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Hello,

John 15; 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.KJV

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.KJV

How am I to understand these verses that Jesus himself stated? Jesus said his followers would be no part of the world, yet religious leaders bless soldiers that kill. All nations are loved by Jesus, are they not?

Thank you.
    Hope12
    What do you mean by religious leaders bless soldiers that kill? What do you have in mind here?

It seems to me that you are talking about two different things when you mention the warning against loving the world with religious leaders blessing soldiers that kill. I'm not even sure I understand what you are getting at here but if you care to elaborate more, I'd be interested to learn more of what it is you are asking.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

May 31, 2010, 11:23 PM

John 13:35

34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 John 4

9We love because he first loved us. 20If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. 21And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.
    I forgive others because God forgives me.

Galatians 5

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

As an aside, the definition of love, is in 1 Corinthians 4. Not the PC definition of tolerance of all things.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A true Christian, follower of Christ, knows they are sinful and therefore relies on God's forgiveness, grace and mercy. I am not right with God because I lead a sinless life.

Beware of those who put the chains of perfection in order to be right with God.

G&P

Jun 1, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    What do you mean by religious leaders bless soldiers that kill? What do you have in mind here?

It seems to me that you are talking about two different things when you mention the warning against loving the world with religious leaders blessing soldiers that kill. I'm not even sure I understand what you are getting at here but if you care to elaborate more, I'd be interested to learn more of what it is you are asking.
    Hello jakester,

My original question was “how do I tell a true Christian follower of Jesus from false Christians? The answers were all
    Great but I followed up with another question because many answers were about love and forgiveness and having works not just saying one is a true Christian follower of Jesus. I was asking how some even religious leaders are true Christians
    Follower of Jesus when they bless soldiers and approve of war by getting involved in world hatred and wars? Does God love one nation less then another? Is that works of a true Christian? Do you understand now why I asked what I did? I
    Am trying to understand in my mind what separates a true Christian from false. Jesus didn’t kill or hate, and the only war he fought was a spiritual warfare in order to save life. How can wars be good works if one is a true Christian follower of Jesus?

Thank you,

Hope12
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Hello jakester,

My original question was “how do I tell a true Christian follower of Jesus from false Christians? The answers were all
    Great but I followed up with another question because many answers were about love and forgiveness and having works not just saying one is a true Christian follower of Jesus. I was asking how some even religious leaders are true Christians
    Follower of Jesus when they bless soldiers and approve of war by getting involved in world hatred and wars? Does God love one nation less then another? Is that works of a true Christian? Do you understand now why I asked what I did? I
    Am trying to understand in my mind what separates a true Christian from false. Jesus didn’t kill or hate, and the only war he fought was a spiritual warfare in order to save life. How can wars be good works if one is a true Christian follower of Jesus?

Thank you,

Hope12
    I believe Jakester already asked for examples of "they bless soldiers and approve of war" and I at least haven't seen any forthcoming. I know of situations like military chaplains blessing soldiers before they head into battle, but the main purpose there is asking God to keep them safe and bring them back alive. Those men generally go because they have to, not because they or the chaplain approves of the situation. So I agree with Jakester that we need some examples of the kind of thing you're describing before we can discuss it properly.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Hi evereyone,

Thank you,

Hope12
    Actions speak louder than words.

That's how you'll find out.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 09:57 PM

I agree with most answers in this post. Actions DO speak louder than words.. which goes along with knowing a Christian by their "fruit". BUT... only God really knows those that are His because a Christian is a work in progress and we still sin.
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jun 10, 2010, 08:15 AM

Hi Hope

First be careful of those who claim that you cannot say that they are not followers of God. The Bible itself says it is easy to tell which ones are the true followers.

1John 3:10 The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident

Be careful of those who claim the Bible is too hard to understand and that you need to pay them attention and pay them money for them to teach you what the Bible really says. The Bible is easy enough for children to understand the basics.

2Timothy 3:15 from childhood you have known the sacred writings

Be careful of those who claim that you cannot use the Bible to test what they are teaching you. The Bible is the very tool we are to use to make sure that what they are teaching is corrct. If their teachings cannot be easily explained by scripture, then they must be declared false teachings.

Acts 17:11 they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

1Corinthians 4:6 Do not exceed what is written

Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!

Be careful of those that say they love God, know him and follow him and yet do the very opposite of what he teaches, e.g. support war or kill others of different faiths or different race or even just do things that are contrary to scripture.

Titus 1:16 They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him,
    vLinko Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2010, 05:33 AM
    It is hard. Remember the Popes who killed a bunch of people.

Basic Principles:

Love Your God
    Love Your Neighbours
    Love Your Enemies
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vLinko View Post
    It is hard. Remember the Popes who killed a bunch of people.

Basic Principles:

Love Your God
    Love Your Neighbours
    Love Your Enemies

Which Pope would that be?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    Which Pope would that be?
    How about the one who approved the crusades was that Urban II or the ones who fought wars on the Italian pensular over land
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Hi evereyone,

Thank you,

Hope12
    Why are you searching for true followers of Christ? Aren't they evident all around you. A true follower of Christ is a person who has committed theirself to Jesus. It is not for you to say this one is a Christian and this one is not.

Remember at Antioch the Holy Spirit placed very few conditions on what a follower must do, and most of what we expect wasn't on the list, because what was required isn't religious.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2010, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    How about the one who approved the crusades was that Urban II or the ones who fought wars on the Italian pensular over land

The history of Urban II.

JoeT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

True Christians? [ 2 Answers ]

Although this little joke does not fall into the usual subjects of this Board, I am posting it because I think it ties in quite well with my last post regarding "Love one another": "Once upon a time, in a nice little forest, there lived a blind little bunny and a blind little snake. One day,...

How many TYPES of Christians are there? [ 27 Answers ]

I'm interested in Christianity and exploring my options. Catholicism didn't work for me for several reasons, but I have an honest understanding of the bible. I want to find something that is easy to incorporate into my life, but exciting enough to KEEP ME INTERESTED! :rolleyes:

2 timothy 2:24--for Christians [ 9 Answers ]

2 Timothy 2:24 A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. If you are a disciple of Christ and call yourself Christian, how do you justify the arguing of points? Doesn't the Word of God speak for itself? Why do...

View more questions Search