Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eldaneker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Initial surge in water pressure?
    Earlier this week the plumber came to fix the toilets in our house. He did a minor rebuild on two of them (not sure this has anything to do with our problem, but it started as soon as the plumber left). While he was here, he measured the water pressure and told us it was 80psi (same as we'd been told in the past). So then the problem begins.

Now when you first turn on the water there is about 3-4 seconds of very high flow and then it cuts back. We tried adjusting the water pressure regulator, but that just makes the eventual flow less and does nothing about this initial surge. We measured the water pressure at the hose bib outside (supposedly where the plumber also checked) and it's now at about 120. Any ideas what this could be or even whether it's related to the very coincidental plumber visit? Thanks for any advice!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Sounds like you've had a PRV, (Pressure Regulator Valve) that's gone bad. Tha average house pressure runs between 40 and 50 PSI. At 80 PSI you were almost twice that and at 120 PSI you are off the scale. Too much pressure puts a strain on the joints in the piping and on the valves and faucets in the system. You have way too much house pressure. Have the PRV checked and if it's faulty have it replaced, Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

Toilet water surge [ 2 Answers ]

Randomly through the day our toilet makes this 30 second water surging sound.  When I look in the toilet bowl I see ripples of water thinking it is new water coming in. What can we do?

View more questions Search