Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skunkman44 Posts: 76, Reputation: 5

May 29, 2010, 06:21 AM
    Dangerous Dog problem getting worst.
    I live in an area that your dogs can be outside without a leash or even without supervision. I have two dogs that mostly just hang out in the yard. Or they might visit the neighborhood dogs and the neighbors dogs visit them. Very nice place for dogs. But one of my neighbor's dogs is a killer. It's a very big Lab something mix. It has attacked and killed other dogs in the area and it has almost killed both of mine. So far they have had to pay $2000 in vet bills on my dogs to sew them up. My little Yorkie almost died. It gets loose couple times a week and will come up to our door and growl and bark trying to get at my dogs. The neighbors just say "I'm sorry just send me the bill." Even the vet said that it any dogs comes in all ripped up its almost a given who did it. I can't keep then in the house all the time and all these attacks have taken place on my porch It won't even back down when I go out and try to chase it away. It will stand just out of reach growling and barking.. Do my dogs have to die before something can be done about this dog?

Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 06:29 AM

What do the Police and/or Animal Control say?

Have you considered putting your dogs behind a fence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 29, 2010, 06:37 AM

Hello s:

I'd buy a gun, and send a copy of the receipt to the offending neighbor. I'd also write my city counsel and tell them what you told us here, and what advice you received.

If I saw the offending dog attack my dogs, I'd shoot it.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 07:03 AM

Often these areas are not in the city, and in areas where it is not illegal to allow your dog to be unleashed.

But the owner is liable for damages to your property ( your dog is considered property) Also there can be criminal charges for damage to your property if they show a careless attitude to control their dogs action even if no leash law.

Also a person has the right to protect themselves ( not their property) by use of force. So if I walked out into my yard, and a dangerous dog was in my yard and that dog had previously had a record of attacking animals, and it growled at me,

Well lets say that the dog would never walk off my property. I would protect myself.

A fence of course to keep your dog in, and their dog out would be the best answer
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 07:18 AM

If it were happening HERE, you would never hear about it again. Please don't get me wrong. I have always had dogs, and I always will. I am not just a dog "owner", I am a dog LOVER. I feel a special connection with my dogs, and they give so much to me in return. And with that connection and love, comes the responsibility of me keeping them safe from any threat that they cannot handle themselves.

This dog comes on to YOUR property and attacks your animals, causing injuries, and possibly death? No way!

I agree with excon here. It's just a matter of which caliber I would use.

Have you talked to the local authorities? They may take care of it for you.

I would be concerned about the neighborhood children as well.

I know this is in the "law" forum, but I felt compelled to give my response.

If nothing else, I would shoot it with pepper spray, or a paintball gun turned up on "high". I would let this dog know that he isn't welcome on your property.

It's a shame that you are having to deal with this dog. Even though the owner's are covering the vet bills, they are irresponsible for letting this to continue.

Good luck and God bless.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Also a person has the right to protect their self ( not their property) by use of force. ...
    Self-defense as a justification for the use of deadly force has no place in this discussion. Use of force pertains to force against another human being, not animals.

As excon says, just shoot the SOB (the dog, not the dog's owner).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with neutered dog [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, my dog just got neutered. One day after the surgery, I noticed that he had blood in his urine. Its not a lot of blood, just a little. Is there something wrong with him? Other than the blood in the urine, everythings seems fine. Please help.

Dog has skin problem [ 5 Answers ]

My lab/german shepered has skin irritation. I have tried giving her medicine, soaking her in Cortizone cream. Nothing seems to work. She's shaving herself, causing redness, and to top it off my sister has lice. But the doc. Says lice can't be transferred from dog to human, or human to dog! I don't...

I think my dog has a drinking problem... [ 3 Answers ]

Our Basset Hound puppy won't stop drinking water when he has it available to him. It doesn't matter how much he's had, he just keeps drinking until it's gone, and his belly swells up like a watermelon until he pees it all out. How do we get him to stop? Thanks for the help. -B

Which Is More Dangerous Concerning Cat And Dog Food [ 10 Answers ]

Is It More Dangerous For A Cat To Eat Some Dog Food, Or A Dog To Eat Some Cat Food? Are There Specific Dangerous Ingredients? Thanks.

View more questions Search