Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebyk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Primary Residence - live/work in one state while family lives in another state
    I jointly own a home in NY with my wife and this is our primary residence today. My wife is a home maker and does not go out for work. Recently I got a job with a company in Massachussettes. We decided to buy a condo near work in Massachussettes where I would live 4 days a week and come home to my family in NY over the weekend. The reason why I cannot sell my home in NY is because the real estate is very bad in NY and I will incur loss if I have to sell it. So I plan to dispose it off slowly. Until then we both have accepted this as a situation we have to deal with. The difficulty for me is to understand which is my primary residence from a Taxation perspective. I pay mortgage on both the homes even if my wife lives in NY and I live in MAss. Hoping for a reply.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2010, 12:22 PM
    For the first year, you can say that your primary residence is in New York, and you can file your Massachusetts return as a non-resident.

However, starting sometime in Year Two, the state of Massachusetts will insist that you are a full-year resident of Massachusetts, even if your wife and family is not. This is due to your ownership of the condo in Massachusetts plus the fact that you spend the bulk of the year living and working in Massachusetts.

Taxwise, it probably will not make THAT much of a difference, because taxes paid to one state is offset by a tax credit for those paid taxes on the other state's tax return, and both Massachusetts and New York state have roughly equivalent tax rates.

However, you probably know about the Massachusetts law requiring that you have health insurance if you are a Massachusetts resident. In the second year, you WILL be subject to that law, and, if you file jointly, it will probably apply to your wife as well, even though she lives in New York. Hopefully this is a moot point because you already have health insurance, but if not, the Massachusetts tax penalty for not having health insurance CAN be rather stiff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primary residence in one state but stay and work in another [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have primary residence in NJ but work and stay in MD. I am filing taxes jointly with my husband who lives in NJ. I want to use NJ address as my main address. In which states should I file taxes?

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

If I live in the state of MO, but work in the state of KS what should be my primary ? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of MO, but work out of the state of KS. What should my primary state be and secondary state be?

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search