Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sorin Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 05:23 AM
    US taxes if I tranfer money to myself from abroad
    Hi. I am not a US citizen, nor a US resident. I am currently living in Romania, whose citizen I am. However, because I spent a few years in the US (obviously, legal), I have a SSN. I have filed tax returns for 3 years while I was in the US.

I have a bank account in the US, but the account is a joint account, under my name and the name of a friend of mine who is a US citizen and lives in the States.

I would like to transfer (wire) some money -- between $100,000 and $250,000 -- from my Romanian bank account to this US account. As I said, both accounts have my name on it as well, so I would technically transfer money from me to me.

Now, my questions:

1. Would I have to submit any IRS tax returns? Will I have to pay any taxes in the US on this transfer? Would my friend who is on the US joint account with me have to file anything special with the IRS? (Would it be simpler if the US account were only under my name?)

2. Also, are there any special forms that need to be filled out (aside from the wire forms)?

3. Anything else I need to do to make things work smoothly (with the bank and the IRS) on this issue?

Many thanks for any answers on this topic, and a great weekend to all.

Sorin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2010, 10:01 AM
    Sori:

1) There are NO taxes due on the transfer, because, like you said, it is a transfer to yourself. However, for simplicity's sake, you should open a separate account in just your name to avoid any complications. A transfer to a joint account MAY be interpreted as a gift to the joint account holder.

2) Once the separate account is open, do the transfer. You WILL have to complete Form 3520 to explain the source of the income, but, as noted above, no taxes will be due.

3) Discuss the matter with a bank official at your U.S. bank. They will help you with the details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS laws on money tranfer taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My sister in england wants to lend me money to buy a house in this country. What the tax implications regarding this matter? And also what is the best way(s) to transfer the money from england?

Taxes on sending money abroad [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members abroad needs some short term liquidity. We're thinking I send money over, which they would give back in a few months and within a year. Do I have to charge interest on this even though it is so short (3-6 months)? Would I have to pay any sort of taxes if there is no...

Taxes when transferring my own money from abroad? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a permanent resident. I wanted to transfer 300k (my onw money from my bank account) from Europe to the US. I read I have to fill the form 3580. Question: will I have to pay taxes? Thanks!!

Taxes on money transferred from abroad [ 2 Answers ]

My father, a US citizen, who has a dual citizenship and currently lives in Europe, is going to move back to the United States, and wants to wire all of his savings from the european bank account to the US bank account. The amount greatly exceeds $13,000. Does he have to pay any taxes on the money...

Tax on money tranfer from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I retired from my job abroad before moving to the US and becoming a US legal resident (green card). My retirement pay is now up to 35K. I have asked my sister to transfer it here to my bank in the US. What must I do with regard to the IRS? Thank you.

View more questions Search