Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Sorry mate. Carry on.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
    The easiest way to back up anything is to make an image of the OS, but with your machine, it'd probably take a while.

I would just stick to what you're doing, burn all files on to a CD, it is slow but it will work. But, if you have USB 2.0 ports on your machine, you'd probably be better off buying/borrowing a few 2GB key drives and doing it that way, it'd be quicker than an 8X burner.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:09 AM
    Time to start shopping for a good IDE HD, better start now as they may be hard to find.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lineswine View Post
    Your mails are in files named something like "inbox.dbx", "sent.dbx" - look for where they are using the search function - type "*.dbx" (without quotes) & they will be found.
    Back those up.
    Whilst you're at it...buy a computer from this millenium!
    I've found emails in other hard drives that way. Thanks for the reminder!

I've also used the converters for those types of files previously. Still though, the process can be a cumbersome one.

However, just finding those files with the titles like you've mentioned and then putting them on another hard drive that's a slave might be the answer.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:11 AM
    I know what I need to do, it's just how to do things the most efficiently where I have a problem.

I also have a couple of computers where I'm on a Wi-Fi connection. However, neither of them will even start up right now. I was used to having the Wi-Fi connection for about six months. Before that, it was a dial-up connection, for the most part, when I've been on this site.

So, I've had to make do with what I've had.

I have a friend who is a computer guru who is the person from whom I'll normally get my machines. We barter for the labor. I tune and work on his piano and he prepares a machine for me. Stopped by his home a few days ago. He wasn't there. Really would just like to get the other two machines working.

For now though, it's the "antique" computer with which I have to deal and use. When it "blows" it "blows", but my business information must be off it.

Like I've already mentioned earlier, all the pertinent documents are backed-up. I do also have back-ups of programs on Cd's and other hard drives.

The emails are the main things which are hard for me to figure out how to back-up without it taking the earth of time to do so.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    The easiest way to back up anything is to make an image of the OS, but with your machine, it'd probably take a while.

I would just stick to what you're doing, burn all files on to a CD, it is slow but it will work. But, if you have USB 2.0 ports on your machine, you'd probably be better off buying/borrowing a few 2GB key drives and doing it that way, it'd be quicker than an 8X burner.
    How does one make an "image" of an operating system, please?
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Man, if you plan on making 25,000 more posts I would seriously think about upgrading.
    Hey! 25,000 posts, most of the time using only a dial-up connection ain't bad, considering that I also get a lot of other things done besides being on the computer, doncha think?
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
    I was just worried that this is a main hobby for you, it'd be a shame if you started having more downtime than uptime considering the antiquated hardware and software. I'll leave it your local computer guru, hopefully he reappears shortly.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:49 AM
    Thanks, NK! Well, it is a main hobby for me, especially considering the connections that have been made with people and what I've learned on this site!

Am presently house and dog sitting. So, I'm really enjoying the high-speed connection on their computer! However, even this one is having problems!

Microsoft Office doesn't work and the "My Computer" window won't have anything in it without my having to go into Safe Mode.

But, that needs to be the subject of another thread...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search