Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    merong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 07:01 PM
    How do I calculate the longtude and latitude on earth
    A point is plotted on a Mercator projection within China. Calculate the longitude and latitude of the point exactly on the opposite side of the earth (i.e. antipodal) to that point. It is the point from which you could dig stratight down to reach China.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:18 PM

Are you saying you don't know the point's lat or long either? A Mercator is labeled with lat and long, pretty much a wothless map I might add.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 29, 2010, 02:11 PM

Longs' and Lats' are valid no matter what map used. Mercators merely distort things a bit. Probably being used in this exercise because it DOES distort things - making it hard to fudge the answer.

I believe the point is that merong has been given the location in China and needs to know what is directly opposite. On a sphere, points directly opposite are 180 degrees away from each other.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 02:42 PM

Look at this:Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latitude and longitude [ 1 Answers ]

Suppose youa re somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. YOu see Polaris at 52 degrees above the horizon. You were told that a certain star is on the Prime Medidian at midnight Greenwich mean time. The star is on your meridian at 4 am greenwich mean time. What is the latitude and longitude?

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

Latitude and longtitude bearing [ 2 Answers ]

How can maths bearing be made simple?

Dell latitude won't go wifi [ 2 Answers ]

The connection to my house was terminated. Another laptop is getting a wifi connection. Why can't my dell latitude get wifi.

Latitude and Longitude [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know that is the Latitude and Longitude of Southern High School in Louisville Ky Please for Social Studies?

View more questions Search