Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Litter training advice
    As some of you know, I have kittens. Those of you who know that, probably also know that I've been having trouble convincing them to use the litter box.

I have two litter boxes because the main one is too tall for the kittens to get in and out of easily. They'll use the other one, but they also go on my floor. If the litter box has been used even once, I'll find little messes in corners.

Since it's physically impossible for me to clean the litter boxes out between every use, I need advice. How can I convince the kittens that the litter box is better than the floor?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 28, 2010, 12:46 PM

No one has any advice?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 10:58 PM
    Hi, hheath541!

Here's a "bump" for your thread!

Do the kittens see their mother using one of the litter boxes?

Thanks!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 11:27 PM

I didn't have any advice that I thought was all that great. I do better with diseases and food than I do with cats peeing where they aren't supposed to. (I went through that myself last year, and Feliway seems to have worked, but different situation.)

The smell of where they are peeing is now going to be in stuff and that will make them think those are fine places to pee. If they do better when the litter box is clean, then it stands to reason it'll help if the litter box is clean. And of course you can't clean it every time it's used if you don't happen to be around, meaning maybe setting out more. Like six. (Which reminds me, I need to clean mine. I have two boxes but still have to make sure they get cleaned every day.)

I was waiting to see if someone else had anything more brilliant to say. LOL.
    AskTheKitty Posts: 24, Reputation: 10

Jun 21, 2010, 02:08 PM

Not sure how brilliant this will sound LOL but my brother's cat had kittens last year and even after they were introduced to the litter boxes and understood that was the place to go, for a while they still piddled on the floor. When they're still kittens and they're running around and playing, they'll sometimes have accidents because they don't have the full control of their bladder that adults do. It's also the smell thing, in that they're just starting to understand that they're supposed to go potty where they smell pee, so when they're young they'll go everywhere for a while.

My brother's kittens stopped using the floor (and the fireplace, plant pots etc.) when they got a little older, so I'm sure your kittens will follow suit and stick to the box. My brother also thought if he cleaned out the box every time there was something in it, they would stop going on the floor, but that wasn't the case. It just takes a little time for kittens to "get it".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Litter Box Training a Chihuahua [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, So I took the suggestions of some folks here. I'm going to try litter box training my girl. She's almost 1 1/2 years old. I've tried everything else, and it all has seemed to work for maybe a month or two, and then back to the carpet she goes. So, I'm hoping this will work. I got...

Litter training tips? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm sort of at a loss here. Here's my back story. The clinic I work at had a young cat (maybe 4-5 months old) in October. He was found in a snowbank, near death. We nursed him back to health. He was infested with many internal parasites (coccidia, giardia, etc). From the first day he came...

Litter training a rabbit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have decided to litter train my rabbit.But it is not Working very well! My rabbit uses the corner of his hutch As a toilet,in the pet hop I baought a litter tray but every time I will it with litter my rabbit keeps tipping it over And he moves it with his mouth and goes Back to...

Litter Training my dog [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 2 year old maltese. I have chosen to litter train her because we live in a tick infested area and both of my daughters have suffered horribly from Lyme Disease. I have tried everything in my power to stop her from going in other areas in our home but she CONSTANTLY pees and poops anywhere...

Litter training [ 2 Answers ]

Can my kittens share a litter box with mummy cat? Because I bought a separate one and mummy cat seems to be using both. I idealy want my mummy cat to poop outside but have no idea how to go about this either. Help!! :confused:

View more questions Search