Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

May 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
    Best fm antenna for mountains
    Was hoping someone could recommend a better FM antenna setup in upstate newyork catskill region.. I recently thought I upgraded by purchasing a new (made in china) iPod docking fm am radio boom box.. in fact I purchased two for the outdoors.. I discovered that both of these later design fm radio compacts offer less fm reception than my older boombox! My question is about why our entrusted FCC and government agencies allowing billionaires interest control or corner these freqencies.. I refuse to ever support sirius radio or any pay to listen radio. That John Malone also hurt my investment when they stole siri shares by manipulating the pps of siri ( sirius stock price) down to 7 cents where I sold to the dirty pros and cons along with their counterparts the SEC.. My experience with this age of broadband spying/manipulation/control govt. experience is enough to want to make me cancel ppv cable TV. But I suppose I can try a cheap fm antenna for now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 27, 2010, 04:25 PM

Are you looking for one for the inside of your home or one for use while your outside?

May 27, 2010, 06:59 PM

Think I want to try a cheap dipole first outdoors on the subpole using rg6 and a few passives. I checked with a site that gives all the local stations which are few, probably all I'll get anyway with any fm antenna in this remote valley.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:53 PM

There is also something else you might have access to. Most cable companies also broadcast FM over their cable. Channels might be off a little like 100.3 might be 98.5 but other then that it's a good signal.

All you need to use it is a 70ohm to 300 omh on it. The old 2 wire system. Radio shack or any hobby electronic store still sells them.

May 28, 2010, 05:27 AM

Yes, I use to work as a field service tech for a cable co.. . I have plenty of fittings and passives with rg6 I could run up the sub pole. I have the 70-300 ohm too.. I suppose I can try getting over the mts. For better local stations. I did get better reception clipping on the boombox antenna a radio shack dipole in the shed. Enough signal strength to minimize the annoying static etc. The antenna in my camper is aweful and I am considering running new rg6 to replace the 59 existing also extend/reroute it up the subpole using a groundblock. Just not sure if it is worth purchasing anything over 30 -forty dollars just to get better reception.. I know the regional stations are limited so it really isn't worth spending much other than a few bucks for a dipole. I like my iPod and ordered me a new kenwood car stereo with iPod input to replace a ten yr old concertone poj that never had good tuning signal. All I know is our car radios always had better reception on the campsite than the camper radio so.. I know either way, my new stereo and new antenna will offer much better FM signal .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the country song, Mountains? [ 4 Answers ]

There is a country song out there called 'Mountains' and I am trying to find out who sings it. It talks about the fact that God gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb. Any help? Thanks, Rhonda

There is a country song that has something to do with mountains, not by lonestar [ 1 Answers ]

There is a song that has to do with moving mountains or something along those lines but its not the one by lonestar.. it's a country song but I can't find the actual name or the artist. Does anyone know? Thanks! Randi

Songs on irish mountains [ 1 Answers ]

Name the Irish mountains made famous in song

Girl disguised as boy in mountains [ 1 Answers ]

All I remember about this movie was that there was a girl in the mountains who was disguised as a boy. Towards the end of the movie she takes off her hat and reveals her long hair shocking a boy who's up there with her. There may have been something about a hawk as well.

Treatment cancer/diseases in mountains of peru [ 1 Answers ]

The treatment for the cancer and other diseases we can find it in the mountains of Peru. 10 years ago the doctors diagnosed me cancer to the lung. They extirpated me a lung. The doctors gave to me 6 months of life. At present I enjoy good health, thanks to the treatment of medicinal plants that I...

View more questions Search