Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjhoward51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
    Laws on vacation rentals
    If you rent out one of your rooms or a cabin on your property, what is the minimum number of days you can rent it out before you are required to pay sales tax, lodging tax, etc... it would normally be 3-5 days a month.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2010, 09:37 AM
    You become liable for taxes once the number of days exceed 14 days per year. However, you can also begin to deduct the expenses associated with the property as well.

Because you make personal use of the property, the expense costs CANNOT exceed the income, but everything must be reported on Schedule E.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 28, 2010, 09:40 AM

This varies from state to state, where are you located. Are there city or county requirements to qualifiy to become a rental?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2010, 10:07 AM
    The advice noted earlier is for the FEDERAL tax return and thus it is irrelevant as to which state is involved.

The state tax on the rental income will depend on the tax laws of the individual state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Susquehanna equipment rentals [ 12 Answers ]

Anyone have the susquehanna equipment rentals spreadsheets complete?

Rentals in foreclosure [ 0 Answers ]

This is a more and more frequently asked question in the current housing crisis. So I figured I'd post a sticky covering it. First we need to differentiate between renting a house and renting an apartment in a multi-unit building. In a multi-unit building, when the property is foreclosed, the...

Vacation rental laws [ 1 Answers ]

I own a home in the zip code 89123 and wish to turn it into a vacation rental,ei. (3 night minimum stays, weekly stays and/or longer stays) is there a law against doing this in the 89123 zip code? NOTE: It does not have HOA

Rentals in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I am from INDIA. I would be travelling to Trenton, New Jersey and reaching there on 16th December, 2007. Could anybody help me to know what kind of house would I need for my family ( Myself, Spouse and Kid (3 Yrs) ) ) and sites where I can found the house on rentals. What is average rental for 1...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

View more questions Search