Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leen321 Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

May 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Why does one of my toilets have PEX running from the bottom of tank to wall instead
    Hi... I had the line from the toilet tank to the supply shut-off at the wall replaced and they did not replace with the usual stainless bendable hose, but a narrow tubing called PEX. Also used the same under sink from shut-off valve to up into the fixture.
    I though PEX was only used inside of walls not for the above uses?? Does this make sense to anyone. Thanks leen321
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 07:13 PM

Pex can be used for anything. As for why it was done this way you will have the ask the guy who did it. Not common practice
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2010, 07:16 PM

I suspect that what was use was a flexible supply tubing not PEX piping.
    The flexible supply tubing is much better, it uses "O" rings not compression fittings and are not only easier to use but much less likely to leak.

May 26, 2010, 11:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I have attached a couple pictures for you to view to see if it is PEX that was used. Thanks.for your help on this frustrating issue. One picture is under the sink and the other under the toilet tank
    Attached Images

May 27, 2010, 03:08 AM

Those appear to be flexible PVC supply tubing with compression fittings. Not the pre-made supply lines I was speaking of earlier.
    Same as the chrome plated copper supply tubing you are accustomed to except they are made of PVC and are flexible.

Why the concern?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2010, 05:41 AM

As Herald pointed out, these aren't Pex but normal PVC supplies. You're going to be just fine, Good luck, Tom

May 27, 2010, 06:58 AM

Thanks, I did call the plumber and he told me he in fact did install PEX lines (he said the word PEX several times) and that is all he has on the truck.. Maybe they just look so different than the flexible stainless , I really do not know if I should be concerned. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:01 AM
    Hi Leen...

Definitely no need to be concerned about the supplies, but from where I sit on this matter the plumber should have put a chrome type of supply tube to the toilet. The sink has hidden supplies... I get that, but the toilet has chrome finish that is exposed and should have remained chrome.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the plumber should have gone to the supply house and picked up a chrome supply without first discussing the options with you, but he should have asked you what you wanted to do regarding this matter... ahhhh well! In the end, he did save you money by not making a bigger deal of it... I guess.

Anyway, there should not be a concern on the supply tubes being dependable... people use these all the time without issues... :)

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:47 AM

I agree with Harold, not PEX, just PVC. Not sure why a plumber would call these PEX, could just be his habit of using generic terms on his customers but that line sure looks like PVC. It is fine to use in this app

May 27, 2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks everyone.. . I just called him and he said definitely this is PEX... He also said he is a Master Plumber and knows what PEX is.
    I suggested chrome under the toilet would have been better because if we get a new toilet that is higher if the chrome flex was on we could just unscrew and there would probably be enough length.. I do not know.. you all are professionals too and I am not... so that is the confusion. I have to trust what he says... So my question is if it PEX is it okay?
    Second question. I had 11 lines replaced and it was over 500.00 so I really want it to be right.

May 27, 2010, 09:39 AM

It may be me that has been using the wrong generic terms http://www.oatey.com/oateypex/pex_merflex_brochure.pdf Yes the lines are OK. I reread your second question and don't really see a question. Are you asking if your got soaked (had to do that) at $500? Probably not but he is on the expensive end of the scale.

May 27, 2010, 09:53 AM

;), Okay I am good, but it just bothers me that they have some give to them since the are not fully flexible.. Seems like if I push something back into them they could break away... Thanks again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Definitely PEX supplies... not common in my area, but these supplies are made specifically for this application. No need for concern, at all! Your plumber did just fine... except for the chrome missing at toilet... :p

Check these PEX supplies out at:

PEX lavatory supplies - Google Product Search

Good luck!

May 27, 2010, 10:22 AM

I guess maybe that is the issue, I thought I was getting the normal flex hose everywhere, because I had just replaced the other toilet line a week ago and we looked at it together and I told how much better this looked over the old flexible plastic hose. So if anything I feel he should have told me what he was going to use. BTW it is not common usage here. I called every plumbing supply house and they all asked if I lived in a mobile home... and all said they do not know anyone who uses PEX in town... I would not give his name

May 27, 2010, 10:25 AM

So this now makes 12 toilets in a mobile home, I am so confused.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 27, 2010, 10:26 AM
    I can assure you that these PEX supplies are fine... they're better than some of the other cheaper plastic braided hoses. If you want a chrome riser you could buy a flexible braided chrome supply and install it yourself in two minutes... available at any home supply store!

Mark
    Attached Images

May 27, 2010, 10:42 AM

No... I live in a stick house with two toilets, but I had all the lines replaced at all sinks and toilets in the house... sorry it does sound confusing.

May 27, 2010, 10:56 AM

I don't have any problem with the supply lines. I do have a problem with $500 to replace 11 supply tubes.

May 27, 2010, 10:58 AM

It was actually 560
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Hey guys!
    Guess what? The plumber was correct. Oatey, does indeed, make Pex supplies,(see image) Still looks like PVC to me. Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running toilets [ 1 Answers ]

I have three bathrooms and whenever you flush the toilet in one bathroom the tolet in the other bathroom runs. It also does it when you turn the water on in the bathroom sink. It only does it with the downstairs bathrooms. What is going on?

3/4" pex from well to pressure tank [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently had a sticking pressure switch that eventually led to the well pump and pressure tank going bad per the well man. Well is from late 2004. We just installed a new tank, switch, gauge, and a new pump with a pump screen. The pump screen is the slotted type with thousands of...

Running Toilets [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have two running toilets in my home. They both started running within days of each other. The problem is the float assembly. I keep adjusting the float and the water stops, but the next time it is flushed it will run until I again adjust the float. Could the toilet tabs I use be the cause?...

Running pex under slab in pvc conduit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10' run of 1/2" pex I want to run under a slab that will be poured. Everything I have read says that you must use a non-metallic elbow (such as PVC) to bring the PEx up through the slab. I am running this line for an island sink supply. I would feel more comfortable if I not only ran it...

View more questions Search