Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
    Atmospheric Pressure
    How does the pressure at a point in a fluid vary with the depth of the point below the surface of the fluid? A bottle, full of air at atmospheric pressure, whose volume is 500 cubic centimeters, is sunken mouth downwards below the surface of a pond. How far must it be sunk for 100 cubic centimeters of water to run up into the bottle?

Is there a hydrostatic equations for finding the pressure outside of the bottle?

we'll use Boyle's Law pV=k to solve for the inside but do we need to arrange: p=k/V?
    Would we use the universal gas constant for this: 8.31432
    So
    p=500/8.31432 = 60.14 for inside pressure?

I'm kind of stuck on this one..
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 08:13 AM

There is indeed a formula for that. Try using:

where P is the pressure of the liquid
    h is the depth of the liquid
    rho () is the density of the liquid
    g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Atmospheric Pressure [ 0 Answers ]

The cross section of the tube of a mercury barometer is 1 square centimeter, and when the barometric height is 760 millimeters, 6 centimeters of the upper end of the tube is empty. When a bubble of air is passed up into the tube it is found that the mercury surface in the tube drops 2 centimeters....

Elevation to Atmospheric Pressure (metric) [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good calculation for calculating atmospheric at a given elevation in metric units? I have a formula for the English calculation for this but it does not hold true by simply changing to metric.

Local atmospheric pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Look up the atmospheric (or barometric) pressure in your area in the newspaper, on television, or through another news outlet. What are the units used? Convert to mm Hg. Convert to mm H2O.

Atmospheric Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Should atmospheric pressure increase or decrease as one goes from the beach to the mountains? Explain.

Atmospheric sensor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 90 honda civic si my ecu is reading code 13 the atmospheric pressure sensor is defective.The problem is I can not seem to locate and do not even know what one looks like.I have tried with no success to find a picture or even any info about.I know where my map sensor is and that is not the...

View more questions Search