Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KarmaToBurn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Hard to Understand - Addiction, Fear or Selfishness?
    My ex and I never finalized the divorce, but have been separated for 3 years. Although separated, we've never been completely away from each other. We had started to grow apart as he spent more and more time drinking with a buddy of his - they went fishing but would stop at a waterside bar and drink, or go to happy hour (my work schedule kept me from many of these outings, though we used to be best friends & do this together).

Then, out of the blue, an online male friend - one of a group of male & female friends from different countries who'd exchange "trinkets" from our countries with each other - decided he was in love with me and sent me a package with a card, dvds of music, and a litle teddy bear, professing his feelings. I'd NEVER encouraged such behavior and had never even looked at another man with desire. However, he chose not to believe this and asked me to move out.

In the interim, he filed for divorce but has not pursued it, saying he doesn't really want to. As well, though we got back together briefly, he decided he couldn't get over the past, is heavy into drinking and partying, and moved his girlfriend in with him about a year ago. She centers her life around the same scene - drinking and partying, but otherwise he says she is the total opposite of him as far as interests, personality and so on.

Almost immediately, he was contacting me saying he'd made such a mess of his life, talking about wanting to just end things (suicidal talk), how he was stuck and so on. He says he wants to leave, makes life miserable so she'll want to move out, refuses to marry her though she wants this badly, and that he believes the lifestyle is killing him. They've rented a $1650 house together, and she makes very little money, so he says if he leaves she won't be able to make it and she has no family here so he can't throw her out.

He says he wants to work things out between him and I and have our marriage back, but he's also "not ready" because he believes he has a problem with alcohol as well as an addiction to the lifestyle (partying, bars, etc). And doesn't want to move back in with me then feel like he's GOT to go have a drink or spend the evening at a club or bar.

He says if he does, he's hurting me and that he doesn't want to destroy any love I have for him or drive me to hate him. So, he says he's already making changes and is on his way. He turns down most invititations to go out, has cut down on his drinking to maybe a couple of times a month, and now being diagnosed with high blood pressure he MUST change.

My issue is, he's HINTED rather than discussed with the GF that she should be saving her money for her own place, and says things like "when I get my own place, I think I'm going to get a foam mattress". He's not said "It's over and you need to save and I will help as well when the time comes" or something similar. Then, I found out that they've been on a 11-day vacation together! Granted, a relative of hers bought their tickets as a birthday gift to her and has been on vacation with them, but to me, that doesn't send a message that he's wanting things over.

I'm not sure if I'm spinning my wheels or how to handle this.

Edited into paragraphs.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 02:56 PM

Finalize your divorce, and cover your own behind. He had his chance, and blew it, so let him deal with his demons, while you get a better life, instead of holding your breathe, waiting for a drunk, who is killing himself, to change.

3 years is a long time to have waited, so haven't you had enough waiting??
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 26, 2010, 11:16 PM
    He wants it ALL!! :rolleyes:

It wouldn't have been difficult to say 'no' to a free trip with his girlfriend that he's not sure he wants or not, because, after all he's a great guy who can't just boot her out and be straight that he's not into a long term relationship. What kind of man would turn down a trip with a woman he lets think he loves her, and essentially strings her along, until he can decide if there is someone else that can better serve his (selfish) needs.

And, sometimes he wants to be single, whether he's in a relationship or not. Free to do as he pleases, when he pleases, how often he pleases, and with whoever he sort of likes for his own reasons, at the time.

And when he gets bored, and feels a little empty because people aren't satisfying his needs, he boo-hoo's and wants to end it all.

Then he starts all over again, with broken promises, mixed signals, and complaints, all the while listening to really bad country music and sucking back the brewskies.

Every now and then he thinks he might put you back in the picture because... well, he likes you at the moment, but not enough to get his life together and be a caring, conscientious, selfless partner who puts your needs first, along with a relationship he wants to build, but then he's confused again, and what the heck, I'll go out with the boys again and think about my life later.

Do you really need that kind of person in your life? I think that the man who decided he was in love with you was a blessing, because it gave your husband at the time a 'legitimate' excuse to go out and live a selfish life. Consider it a blessing.

He is just another grown up man who has not yet decided it's time for his big boy pants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to understand my sons addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I need help understanding my sons oxy addiction. He is 21 yrs old and never takes responsibility for his own actions. He was raised by his dad and has been in some kind of trouble every since he was around 12 or 13 yrs old. Me and his dad had separated since he was 10. Dad has always...

Guys Are Hard To Understand [ 7 Answers ]

I was dating some guy for about 2 years I love him a lot but sometimes I feel like if my feelings are going away for him and its hard to explain because when I hear something about him with someone else I want to cry is it love or what ?

He doesn't understand how hard it to raise her alone. [ 7 Answers ]

Okay obviously there is a simple answer to this question but I need the encouragement that goes with it. My ex was court ordered to pay a monthly child support, its kind of high but for two reason's: a. he makes almost 5000 dollars a month and b. Hes never hom and I take care of our little girl...

Fear of addiction [ 28 Answers ]

OK this isn't so much about addiction but the fear of a close friend of mine getting addicted (more then a friend actually... long story and we may be going out) to cocain and or E. it started like 2 days ago she told me she wants to do coke which scares me allot I've trayed to explain to her not...

Selfishness Vs Self-Responsibility [ 7 Answers ]

I found this amazing site Dr. Margaret Paul, innerbonding. I thought I would share... We are being selfish when: · We expect others to give themselves up for us. · We make others responsible for our feelings of pain and joy. · We get angry at others for doing what they want to do rather...

View more questions Search