Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbogniak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
    Can anyone Identify this? Bone?
    I found this object in a river in Russell Pa while hunting for artifacts, it is heavy enough that if it is bone it is fossilized. It has a tendon like piece in one of the sockets about 1.5" long(see image 0004, top,someone was scratching around hence the discoloration), the part that got me going is a piece of flint protruding from one of the faces,see top of photo "flint". Possible projectile point? What should I do with tis item? Thanks!
    Attached Images

asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2010, 07:36 AM

Just looking at these pictures, I do not think it is bone.

I think it is worked stone though. I would look for a university with a decent archaeology department and write to someone there. For example the University of Pennsylvania is supposed to have an excellent department (anthropology).

Look at their list of faculty and write to someone such as this person. Don't send the photos at first, because the university email system might dump it, but write asking if you can send the photos.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can see bone in my mouth [ 7 Answers ]

After wearing lower denture for a while , I can see bone at the back of my jaw , what it can be? I think I have lost skin from there because of denture.

Identify this bone please [ 4 Answers ]

Found this bone on a river bed in Kansas an need help identifying it. I'm pretty sure it's a vertebrae of some kind. MySpace

Found a bone [ 4 Answers ]

I found this bone on a river bed in Kansas. I know it's a vertebrae of some sort. Please help me identify it. Pictures here > MySpace

Bone deteriorarion [ 1 Answers ]

My son has terrible backaches and has been diagnosed as backbone deterioration and it seems like nothing can be done about it. Apparently, an old injury has caused the bones to deteriorate over the years. He is taking strong medecine for the pain. He was told no operation could help him. He is...

Bone Loss [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Between 70 & 90% Bone Loss. I Was Told That Anything Over 50% Can't Be Saved, Resulting In The Removal Of All Teeth. Is This True?

View more questions Search