Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Suedreamer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Missing Teeth
    Hi... just wanted some advice

Over the last 4 years I have lost 2 lower molar teeth, one on each side. I was just wondering whether it is worth me replacing the teeth, or is there no benefit from doing that? I have heard lots about losing bone mass and drifting teeth when there are gaps in the gums, and also how it may affect the upper teeth. I'm not in a good position financially, so implants are not really an option, and I don't really like the idea of a partial denture.

Would just appreciate some advice re what to do, or whether to just leave things as they are

Sue:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 06:30 PM

Missing lower teeth has nothing to do with the upper teeth drifting, etc. If these are molars and you are able to eat comfortably without them, then probably you'll be okay. If you are having problems eating food then yes, do something about this problem when you get extra funds.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Missing lower teeth has nothing to do with the upper teeth drifting, etc. If these are molars and you are able to eat comfortably without them, then probably you'll be okay. If you are having problems eating food then yes, do something about this problem when you get extra funds.
    I kind of disagree with the first sentence Twinkie, sorry. Missing lower teeth CAN cause the uppers to drift DOWNWARD towards the former teeth's location. If they were used to hitting something while biting down, they will have a void there now. I've seen it happen. But it takes time.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2010, 06:51 PM

Molar implant can run $5000 each so that is likely way out of your ballpark. With missing teeth the other teeth will slowly move and can possible cause more bone loss, this includes upper teeth that no longer have opposition from the pulled teeth. A partial or a bridge isn't cheap either but would restore you full mouth of teeth. Go back to the dentist who did the extraction, or any other good dentist and get an evaluation. Ask that dentist for all options and all costs. BTW, you proably already had signitificant bone loose, that is frequently the reason a tooth is pulled rather than repaired
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 04:22 AM

Since finances are an issue, the least expensive way to replace multiple teeth in one arch is by having a partial denture made. Shop around for the best price and materials used. The healthiest is one made of chrome not plastic.

That being said, lower partial dentures are generally kept in dresser drawers by most of those who have them. They are known for trapping seeds and food under them and you must rinse your mouth right after eating.

The bone where the teeth were removed will continue resorbing and if the day comes that you are in a better financial situation bone grafting will need to be done before an implant can be placed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free solution for teeth for gap between teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I have gap between the upper teeth what is the solution for this and this just starting how to solve

Missing persons accra ghana Looking for Labrams Osman missing since Feb 12, 4:30pm [ 13 Answers ]

5ft.7in appox. 130lbs long dark brown hair caucasian, very attractive Labanon decent.

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Missing my two front teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am 21 years old, in December of 2005 I had surgery on my mouth, I had six teeth removed, I was told I had to wait until it healed to get partials, well while waiting for it to heal they cancelled my insurance(medicaid) so I went 10 months without my two front teeth. I finally got my...

View more questions Search