Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Dec 8, 2006, 08:43 AM
    What do I do about my car being in my father's name, he passed away 2mths ago?
    My car is currently in my fathers name. He passed away 2 months ago. I have talked to the bank and they first gave me options, 1.) buy it out 2.) Refinance 3.) return the vehicle.
    I was all set to go refinance it. Then my sister who has stolen all his assets and life insurance, says that they bank called and I no longer have any option of refinance or buying. I am really confused at what is happening. I think my sister is trying to be shady in the deal because she couldn't keep my dad's vehicle. I just need help in figuring out what I should do next. How should I approach this matter with the bank? I don't want to lose my car.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 08:50 AM
    The first question is whether your father died with a will. The second question is whether that will or the estate was probated. The third question is who was executor of the estate and does your sister have a power of attorney?

Your sister cannot "steal" his life insurance. The life insurance goes directly to whoever was listed as the beneficiary. If she wasn't the beneficiary she has no right to the proceeds. As for other cash assets, the only way anyone can gent them from the bank is if they are joint tenants on the account, they have power of attorney or are the executor of the estate.

The bad news is that, since the car is in your dad's name its part of the estate. Only the executor of the estate can sign it over to you.

So you need to find out what's going on with the estate and maybe force a probate and accounting.
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Dec 8, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Um, is there where I should follow up with more advice? I am new to all this.
    Ok, so do you have any more advice for me?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Yes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need to prove father's income [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find out if there is a way to prove the father of my child's income in writing. He will not give this information voluntarily. I have a support order from Florida, but when the order was written, he had a poorly paying job. Soon after the order went into effect, he got a much better...

3 year ago car repossession [ 2 Answers ]

I voluntarily turned in a car I could no longer afford. So it was repossessed. I stupidly have done nothing about the remaining balance of the loan after the car was auctioned off. So today I was served papers saying Im being sued for the remaining balance of $6200. So I ask you. What rights do I...

Father's Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Does a father have any right if a woman wants to have an unplanned pregancy? Can she demand anything from him if he does not want to participate?

Step father's right to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

Can you please tell me how can I go about adopting my step son who is 8 years old? His biological father rights were taken and I would like to adopt my fiance's son. What do I need to do?

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

View more questions Search