Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 02:07 PM
    Find the weight of water formed
    Steam at 100 degrees C is passed into a vessel containing 1 kilogram of ice at 0 degrees until the ice is just melted. Find the weight of the water formed.

Any idea what equation I would use to find this?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 08:38 AM

You need:

Q = mL

Where Q is the energy required for the steam (or ice) to melt, m the mass of the steam (or ice) and L is the specific latent heat of the substance (that of ice is different from that of steam)

I guess your question is asking the total weight of water, that is from steam and ice that is collected when the ice melts.

Well, using and , you will see that Q_steam and Q_ice should be equal, because the energy carried by the steam is transferred to the ice, hence the energy lost by steam must be equal to energy lost by ice.

So, you get:

L_steam and L_ice should be given to you, and you know m_ice, find m_steam. The total weight of water is given by (m_ice + m_steam)g.

Post your answer! :)
    Ldobry7554 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 05:30 PM

Thank you!

This is what I got:
    QSteam=(.148Kg)(2260J)=2260J
    QIce=(1Kg)(335J)=335J

So .148Kg+1Kg=1.48
    W=1.48(9.8)=14.5
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 07:56 AM

Correct, you found the mass to be 0.148 kg, which is good. But you didn't add them up correcly. 0.148 kg + 1 kg = 1.148 kg. Which then has the weight of 11 kg (2 sig fig).

Be careful next time :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many moles of lead iodide will be formed [ 3 Answers ]

If one mole of Pb(NO3)2 reacts with two moles of NaI, how many moles of PbI2 will be formed?

Granite Formed? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions that I'm trying to work with but am getting very hung up on for whatever reason, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me. :) Q1 If the original source magma is basaltic from the upper mantle how might acid melts form to produce granites etc? Q2 Explain how the...

For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? [ 1 Answers ]

PbCl2(s) = Pb+2(aq) + 2Cl -(aq). For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? I know the Atomic weight is 35.45 but how do you change grams to moles?

Product formed when SO3^2- is oxidized? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usual product formed when SO3^2- is oxidized? Thanks

Ice formed in Kelvinator refrigerator [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a Kelvinator fridge (model N369B) which has a separate freezer at the bottom. The freezer works fines but the fridge forms ice in the inside at the back of the fridge near the cold metal plate (condensor plate). Would you show me how to repair the ice forming? Thanks, Adam

View more questions Search