Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ematheson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 02:14 AM
    DOes Naltrexone show up in drug test
    My husband is taking LDN - low dose naltrexone (4mg/day). Will this show up on a routine drugs / alcohol screen done by his employer?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 04:25 AM
    If he is taking this as prescribed, simply showing the prescription to the company would alleviate any positive results on a drug test.

Is this the real concern?

May 25, 2010, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    If he is taking this as prescribed,,simply showing the prescription to the company would alleviate any positive results on a drug test.

Is this the real concern?
    He does not really want to alert them to the fact that he is taking it as it might raise questions as to why he is taking it and mean that he might not get the job he is applying for - he is taking it for MS and does not want them to know about this condition.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 04:56 AM
    That alone could be a deal breaker(legally,if he is hired under the guise of health and has a condition not disclosed at the time of hire, but I am not a lawyer), or could be a guarantee for employment,depending on how this information is used.(Persons with disabilities act, again,I am not a lawyer, no legal background, but I do have opinions.. :)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 05:03 AM

I took Revia (Naltrexone) at one point in my recovery from alcohol and drugs. It is an opiate antagonist. I do not believe that it shows up on typical drug screening.

However, I agree with KBC on the fact that total disclosure is always the best route to take. Sorry.

May 25, 2010, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I took Revia (Naltrexone) at one point in my recovery from alcohol and drugs. It is an opiate antagonist. I do not believe that it shows up on typical drug screening.

However, I agree with KBC on the fact that total disclosure is always the best route to take. Sorry.
    He has decidednot to disclose his condition since he has been working with it for the last 15 years with no problems although he didn't know that he had it. I am uessing that Revia is quite a high level of Naltrexone (approx 50mg per day) and he is only using 3mg. If Revia is not detected then Low Dose Naltrexone will not be. Thanks.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ematheson View Post
    He has decidednot to disclose his condition since he has been working with it for the last 15 years with no problems although he didn't know that he had it. I am uessing that Revia is quite a high level of Naltrexone (approx 50mg per day) and he is only using 3mg. If Revia is not detected then Low Dose Naltrexone will not be. Thanks.
    Please don't think my answer is anything more than speculation.

I'm not certain, but I highly doubt that a typical drug screen will detect such a small amount of a non-narcotic substance.

Good luck.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ematheson View Post
    My husband is taking LDN - low dose naltrexone (4mg/day). Will this show up on a routine drugs / alcohol screen done by his employer?
    The employer is an important element in your question. Some employers (transportation, federal contractors, etc) under the mandates of federal regulation are restricted to use of a 5-panel screen with a specific cut-off of 2000 in relation to opiates SAMHSA. Employers that are unionized must test in accord with standards established by their collective bargaining agreement. Usually equal to the SAMHSA standard above.

Other than those exceptions, no restrictions are placed on employers and they may choose more intrusive testing i.e. 10 panel tests if they desire. Most don't.

Naltrexone is technically an opioid, that is a synthetic opiate. It does not produce the same metabolites as the opiate class and it is these metabolites that are being tested for. Therefore, this drug should not be detected unless specifically tested for. The 5-panel will not pick it up at 2000 or anywhere near that cut-off. Tests for detection must usually be "no threshhold" to detect. You should be entirely safe. But it is technically detectable.

May 26, 2010, 05:41 AM

Thanks Dr Bill. You have given a very thorough answer and I hope it helps other people in the same situation. I am pretty sure that he will be safe now and it takes the pressure off. Thanks again.
    tahiti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Hello,

I am just wondering how the drug screening went. I am also taking LDN and have a pre-employment drug test. I don't know what kind of panel tests they run. Please let me know. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will one beer show up in drug test 18 hours later? [ 4 Answers ]

I had one beer at 9:00 last night. Had to take a standard EtOh urine test (not EtG) at 5 pm (about 18 hours after the beer). I had not gone to the bathroom since before drinking. I have had about 20 ounces of fluids since the beer.

Will suboxone show up in Ca probation drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, I'm fresh at the beginning of being on probation (PC 1000 program to be exact) and have to get tested drug tested twice a week. I was using oxy contin but now need to take suboxone in order to get completely off the oxy. My question is, if suboxone would show up on THEIR tests. Does anyone...

Does suboxone show on a drug test done by probation? -Fresno, Ca [ 15 Answers ]

I got a DUI from drinking and driving. I went to court 5 days ago and was put on formal probation and I have a meeting with a probation officer in two days. I'm contimplating telling him about being on Suboxone. I have been on it for over a year, but was only legaly prescribed it for the first...

Will antabuse show up on a probation drug test? [ 1 Answers ]

It probably sounds like a stupid question, right? Why should my PO be mad if I'm on antabuse, you're probably asking. Well, here's the story-I've been on probation for 10 months, now; I only have two more months to go. Pretty much the whole time I've been on probation, I have been drinking (in...

Will Bangkok pills show positive in a drug test? [ 4 Answers ]

Will bangkok pills show positive in a drug test? I have a friend who uses it. How long does she have to clear her system before the drug test, so it won't test positive for any of the bangkok pill components?

View more questions Search