Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Beck & Gold
    Hello:

I, like Glenn Beck, tout the purchase of gold.. Even though it's simply a commodity (meaning nobody's gold is better than anybody else's), there DOES appear to be different ways to buy it. You can buy it at its commodity price - or you can get ripped off. There really is no other way to put it.

Glenn Beck represents people who rip you off. Here's how. If you bought 10 ozs of gold when I first started telling you about it, you would have made around $6,000 by now. You'd be rolling in dough. But, if you bought 10 ozs of gold from Glenn Beck's sponsor, you'd just be breaking even about now, and his SPONSOR would be rolling in the dough.

Buying gold isn't mysterious either. You can shop at your local coin dealer and NOT get ripped off. It's easy.

Now, if this were just some TV guy selling schlock vs some other TV guy selling HIS schlock, it wouldn't be so bad. But, Glenn Beck, wearing his pundit hat, SCARES his viewers. He tells them (truthfully), that gold is a GOOD hedge against uncertain times - which would be true if you bought it from anybody BUT his sponsor.

Now, I don't know what Glenn Beck owes his audience. Maybe nothing... Whaddya think?

excon

PS> (edited) Interestingly, I notice the same sponsor, here on THIS website. It's just over there on the right side of your screen, or maybe even right below this post.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 03:53 AM

Goldline ? Yeah I know Congressman Weiner has been making a lot on noise lately challenging Goldline's business model ;and taking on Beck in particular ,even though there are many radio personalities and cable outlets touting Goldline's services.
    For the pundits it's easy to recommend gold . The price has soared recenty.
    Goldline has very high ratings with consumer agencies so I wonder how badly they are ripping off people.
    Yes the savy consumer can shop around with local merchants and get the best deal. But there are many who would get ripped off at the local level also and perhaps are not sophisticated consumers.
    That is where these exchange agencies come in.
    I haven't been buying gold. My wife and I have been selling any scrap gold and silver we have . I don't buy high .
    However ,I don't know enough about the gold coin market to say if they are ripping people off or not .The price of gold is fixed on the market. The price of coins probably vary because of different values placed by collectors . If I was going to buy gold it would be buillon (for investment )or jewelry (because I like gold jewelry) . I would not buy collectible gold coins (because I am not a collector of coins) . I don't watch Beck . When he advertises does he advertise gold bullion or bullion coins for investment ? Or does he generically recommend gold . When he touts Goldline does he give a disclaimer like "ask them if gold is right for you " as I have heard others say.

My advice to Rep Weiner would be to do the things he was elected for and strengthen the dollar and make the nation fiscally sound. Then he and us would not have to concern ourselves with the price of gold.
    Unless Rep Weiner can prove that Goldline is violating a regulation in how they conduct business I suggest he rethink smearing a business so he can take on political pundits . What he is doing is bordering on straightup libel if you ask me.

I see this in the broader perspective . The lib God FDR seized gold from Americans because it interfered with his remake of the country. If people are buying hard assets then their money can't be used to buy government debt at pittance interest rates .

BTW ;have you checked out the prices of gold and silver limited edition coins that are sold by the US mint ?Now there's a rip off !
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 05:22 AM
    Are you, like Beck, paid to tout the purchase of gold? I checked prices for 1 oz. Krugerrands and Goldline was right in line with everyone else I checked at an average price of around $1270. That's what, a 10 percent profit? What's your beef?
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 25, 2010, 06:31 AM

Eeks, for a second there I thought you said you LIKE Glenn Beck. But I came to my senses quickly, and re-read your post. Where do you think the best place to buy gold is? I'm seriously considering it, but I don't want to get ripped off!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 11:26 AM

Hello again, this:

As I said, your local coin dealer is the place to shop. I suggest you buy BULLION coins as opposed to NUMISMATIC coins. Bullion coins take no more expertise to buy than looking up the price on your computer. Numismatic coins, on the other hand, take a great deal of expertise to buy. If you don't have it, don't buy 'em.

An example of bullion coins would be Krugerands, Maple Leafs, Coronas, and pandas, among others. An example of numismatic, or collector coins, would be American $20 gold pieces, and old silver dollars...

The price of gold is available online in dozens of different places. At these prices, be prepared to pay 2% - 3% above that when you buy, and be prepared to get 2% -3% less than that when you sell.

Tom is selling, like most everybody, because he thinks it's high. I think it's cheap.

excon

May 25, 2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 25, 2010, 04:01 PM

The funny part about it all is that Beck has two different gold dealing firms sponsoring his TV show. Which one is Weiner after, anyway, Rosalind Capital or Goldline?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 06:06 PM

Gold is a bubble . It may peak higher than I expect (I expected the monetary supply to tighten by now but these guys in office are continuing the foolish loose money policy . I think my time frame is right.The bubble is being artificially inflated by poor monetary policy .The time to buy gold was 10 years ago.Buy low sell high and you don't lose.

Besides I don't like unproductive assets except my personal residence(and that's only really worth it because of a heavy Federal subsidy in mortgage deductions).

May 25, 2010, 08:02 PM

True

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sarah Palin Floats Glenn Beck as a Possible 2012 Running Mate [ 49 Answers ]

Sarah Palin Floats Glenn Beck as a Possible 2012 Running Mate | Politicususa.com This is going to be fun!

Glen Beck and the Republicans [ 14 Answers ]

Hello wingers: I have to laugh. You're SO out of touch. I don't think you can ever come back. There is no question that California is the brokest among already broke states. It IS headed for the rails... So, Beck and whomever he was talking to, kept saying that California should CUT...

1800's in coins, American, Chinese and Canadia, plus gold & silver [ 4 Answers ]

so, Clough and Flying Eagle. You come up as the experts. My mother died in March, left me notes to guide me to all the stuff... This is way over my head. Is there a was to get an appraisal. How do I know that he is honest. Plus, she said before she died, there is over 50 thousand in the stamp...

John Beck scam, game or legit? [ 1 Answers ]

Has any one had experience with the John Beck method of real estate sales? It sounds too good to be true. Thanks

View more questions Search