Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 05:48 PM
    Gulf Coast Oil Spill..
    Seriously? Why isn't it stopped??

I've volunteered already. Hopefully I'll get to go wash birds. This is absolutely horrible.. And the worse thing is.. its not getting any better..

:( :( :(

Firedoglake Coverage of the BP Oil Disaster | Firedoglake

YouTube - BP Oil Disaster Update #1
    Attached Images

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 05:49 PM

My cousin's wife is already there, scooping up birds, cleaning them off.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 05:57 PM

I want to do that so bad! I volunteered through National Audobon Society... Put on my form I'm willing to travel...

This is so sad! And they're drilling again... soon in the arctic
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 24, 2010, 05:59 PM
    What are they doing with the cleaned-up birds and other animals? If they release them back into the wild, they'll just get all gunked up again.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 06:02 PM

I think, but not certain, they go to a sanctuary and then moved to a part of the coast that is not funked up...

I'm not certain though..
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 04:58 AM

I commend you on your efforts.

There are 3 other OP on the subject in the Current Events board. We have commented extensively on the issue.

Clearly it is more complicated then"why isn't it stopped ?"
    I think there is plenty of room for finger pointing and debate. But there can be no doubt that the stauts quo is in no one's best interest . Attempts to stop the flow from the well have to date failed. More ideas are in the works .
    BP attempting to stop leak Wednesday...maybe - 14 News, The Tri-State's News and Weather Leader-

Basically it comes down to this . The government has no clue about what it takes to plug the gusher .They could enlist other oil companies like Exxon-Mobil to assist .But other than that ;they are dependent on BP to fix the problem.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 25, 2010, 06:53 AM

It is our worst nighmare come ture :(
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 07:18 AM

It's bad, it's sad, it's ugly... but if this is our worst nightmare I'll sleep much better.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 25, 2010, 07:22 AM

Sweet dreams to you!
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 08:04 AM

What's done is done.. But what is making this horrible, is the fact that BP is drilling yet again.

How many more creatures and people does BP have to kill before someone wakes up and says, "Hey, this isnt right".

I watched on a news channel last night.. Mr. Keith Olberman -- Who said, "Why are we letting the murderer run the investigation"

BPs solutions are not working. They're laying down more poison in the oceans to clean up their disaster. When we tell them they can't do that, they just snap back at us and agree to not use as much. That's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

BP needs to take all their efforts into stopping this leak. They got the pipes down there, why can't they stop it? And further more, why are they drilling someplace else now?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    I think, but not certain, they go to a sanctuary and then moved to a part of the coast that is not funked up...

I'm not certain though..

Nope, that's what they are doing. At least that's what they are doing until the sanctuary is full. I believe it's in Georgia.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 08:21 AM

BP needs to take all their efforts into stopping this leak. They got the pipes down there, why can't they stop it? And further more, why are they drilling someplace else now?
    As I understand it the Obama Interior Dept is issuing new permits and environmental waivers as we speak.
    Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

Why are they still drilling ? Because we still need oil for fuel our economy. Do you think our not drilling will prevent Mexico ,Venezuela ,Cuba from drilling in the same neighborhood ?
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Whats done is done.. But what is making this horrible, is the fact that BP is drilling yet again.
    Let's get some things straight and not rely on Olby for any rational analysis.

As I noted yesterday, Obama's government is still issuing environmental waivers to drill in the Gulf. Not one of the 5 waivers granted since the spill were granted to BP. I bet Olby didn't rant about that did he?

And, in spite of all the rhetoric about BP, the guy in charge down there, USCG Admiral Thad Allen, trusts BP's CEO. “I trust Tony Hayward,” Allen said of BP’s chief executive officer when asked if he trusted the company. “When I talk to him, I get an answer.”

As tom as said many times, this is new territory. Lessons will be learned, technology will emerge, and Obama will go on keeping his boot on the throat of whoever is in his sights at the moment.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 08:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    It's bad, it's sad, it's ugly ... but if this is our worst nightmare I'll sleep much better.
    Hello Nero:

The sentiment you expressed explains WHY you don't care much about environmental matters.. You don't think they amount too much...

Me?? I think they could wipe us out. Really. They could END it for us. How is it that you don't grasp that? Do you understand the term EXTINCTION??

excon or chicken little
    Take your pick
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    The sentiment you expressed explains WHY you don't care much about environmental matters.. You don't think they amount to much...

Me???? I think they could wipe us out. Really. They could END it for us. How is it that you don't grasp that? Do you understand the term EXTINCTION??????

excon or chicken little
    take your pick
    Chicken (or would you rather me call you little?),

I called it bad, sad and ugly, that wasn't good enough? One of the differences between you and I is I have faith in nature’s ability to recover, which come to think of it, should be something all you evolutionists should have as well. The earth will recover.

I much more fear nukes in the hands of radical Islamic dictators bent on establishing a global caliphate. That, would be a nightmare.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    One of the differences between you and I is I have faith in nature’s ability to recover, which come to think of it, should be something all you evolutionists should have as well. T
    Hello again, Nero:

Oh, I have faith that nature will recover. I don't know why you think that means we will too. I really DON'T think you grasp the notion of extinction...

excon
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 09:49 AM

Extinction is a reality of existence on this planet. It is as natural as evolution.
    The latest on human evolution is that all of us have a bit of neanderthal dna in us. But they did not survive and homo sapiens did . I am not positive about this, but I doubt that there is much difference in extinction events today than in the past.
    Are humans a plague on the planet ? Some humans thinks so. Theyhave created an organization called " Voluntary Human Extinction Movement" (VHEMT) .The best thing about them is that they tend to discontinue their own lineage first .
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 10:03 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was the catalyst for human extinction, my mistake.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 10:11 AM

Hello again, Steve:

An environmental calamity WAS the catalyst for ALL the extinctions we know about. How do you not know that?

Like I said. I don't think you get the concept of extinction. The dinosaurs didn't either. But, we're supposed to be smarter than them. Guess not.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
    As I understand it, scientists are leaning toward the Chicxulub event as the reason for that mass extinction. The second theory is the Deccan traps as the catalyst, and the third is the dinosaurs just weren't tough enough to adapt to changing conditions.

Which of these is similar to the Gulf spill?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gasoline/oil spill [ 2 Answers ]

I spilled a gasoline oil mix for a chainsaw in the trunk of my car. The whole car smell like gasoline and oil. How do I get the gas /oil and the smell out of my car?

Gulf of Mexico Oil spill solution? [ 33 Answers ]

This is amazing. The simple solution might be hay or straw. Video: YouTube - CWRoberts Presentation 2.wmv News: The Associated Press: Inventors say BP ignoring their oil spill ideas It certainly can't hurt to try... I can't imagine why they don't.

Oil spill petrol mower [ 5 Answers ]

I foolishly tipped my lawnchief 420 on its side to carry out a minor repair to the guide plate. I think I may have spilled the oil into the carb. Now the mower struggles to start. It will start if I persist. I have removed the spark plug cleaned it using a dry lube solvent. Cleaned the plug and set...

Oil Spill on cement [ 4 Answers ]

How do I clean up an oil spill on the driving pad at my condo.

Persian Gulf Oil Spill [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a small report on the oil spill. The persian gulf oil spill. I've a few questions. What caused the spill? What was the effect? If anyone knows, please help. Thanks.

View more questions Search