Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 09:41 PM

What exactly is that?:)
    I'm ignorant on junkanoo:confused:
    celiaye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    -

Dec 16, 2010, 02:04 AM
    Junkanoo holds an important place in the history of the Bahamas, but the origin of the word Junkanoo remains a mystery. Many believe it comes from John Canoe, an African tribal chief who was brought to the West Indies in the slave trade and then fought for the right to celebrate with his people. Others believe the word stems from the French gens inconnus, which means "the unknown people"—significant because Junkanoo revelers wear costumes that make them unrecognizable.

The origin of the festival itself is more certain. Though its roots can be traced back to West Africa, it began in the Bahamas during the 16th or 17th century when Bahamian slaves were given a few days off around Christmas to celebrate with their families. They left the plantations and had elaborate costume parties where they danced and played homemade musical instruments. They wore large, often scary-looking masks, which gave them the freedom of anonymity, so they could let loose without fear of being recognized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The icici bank account held by my father and me jointly has been held. What to do [ 7 Answers ]

My father and I have a joint account in icici bank. All the money in the account is of my father. I had defaulted in icici credit card. The icici bank has held the account. What my father can do?

I've held on to my ex [ 4 Answers ]

:confused:Almost three years ago I asked my ex girlfriend to leave the house. I did not mean it I was just pissed off and was an alcoholoc so I said some things I did not mean.Well when I came back home she was gone and had taken the kids. Two days later I got served with a restraining order, I...

Child Abuse At Sisters Of Providence St. Vincent Hospital [ 8 Answers ]

Hi My name is Moumen Al Khachi, I am here in Oregon *. Is there any State/Federal department can investigate my daughter's story and take the legal action about that abuse? She been abused by my soprvisor at Prvidence St. Vinsent Hospital, I don't know wer to go. I tried to contact all the...

Child Abuse and Discrimination at Catholic Providence St. Vincent Hospital [ 3 Answers ]

Child Abuse and Discrimination at Non-Profits, Catholic Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, the largest hospital in Oregon Portland Hospital Criticized Over Employment Practices - Salem-News.Com Thank you Mr. Tim King from salem-news.com for bringing my story to public light you are really a...

Held Back [ 1 Answers ]

Im an 11th grader but Im supposed to be in 12th. I was held back because I was missing 3 credits. How do I earn enough credits to be in my right grade and graduate on time?

View more questions Search