Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latripp66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2004, 10:17 AM
    When to take children to a funeral?
    At what age do you feel its appropriate to take a child to a funeral of a distant relative whom they've only met a couple of times?
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
    Re: when to take children to a funeral?
    I feel that would depend on your own beliefs as to the degree of reverence that should be given to those who have passed on.  As parents we most often want to instill within our children those qualities that we feel to have moral and social value.  Death is a certainty in life and children will experience it whether it be with a pet, a plant, or a person.  There is never a good time to experience death so talk to the children about life and give them your best explanation of death and your thoughts of the afterlife whatever that may be.  Their exposure to a funeral will give them something to think about as they establish themselves in this world.  Death is less upsetting to children when they have had at least a little exposure to it and an understanding of it's reality.  Age is irrelevant.
    SaraKammeraad Posts: 82, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 01:06 AM

I think it depends on who died as well as the children themselves. I made a horrible mistake when I took my now 7 year old to his great grandfathers funeral 3 1/2 years ago. He wouldn't sit still and of course could understand the magnitude why people were upset. However I had a baby pass away and we did not have a traditional funeral we had a funeral/ burial where all 3 of my other children did great there ages at the time were
    1 1/2, 2 1/2, 5. I think because they knew that it was a sibling that they understood they this is a time to be humble rather than bouncing off the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

After children? [ 17 Answers ]

After a women gives birth to a few children does she get "wider". I am just wondering. I am with a guy now, who is pretty small but that is not a problem at the moment anyway. But what would happen if we stayed together, and got married and had a few children? Would I become bigger down there? And...

Will we have more children? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was diagnosed in 2004 with cancer. He went through about 8 months of treatment (chemo and radiation). I've read a lot about the type of chemo he was given and have found that one of the side effects is often infertility. We didn't have anytime to plan out what we were going to...

Deductions on funeral [ 4 Answers ]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't want to sound money concerned. My father passed away, I paid for the majority of his funeral expences, is there any deductions for paying for a funeral. I have never heard of it, but just wondering.

View more questions Search