Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    highachiever Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

May 23, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Styles of architecture
    I am interested in learning about different styles of architecture, but I do not want to take college courses in it nor become an architect. Is there a basic class to learn about styles or books that anyone can recommend? Sort of like art appreciation, but for architecture?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Go to your local public library and head for the 700s. Or ask this question of a reference librarian who will show you where the books are. Yes, you can teach yourself about architecture styles.

May 23, 2010, 05:18 PM

I have checked the library, but the topics do not seem to narrow it down. I was looking for something that says "this is what defines something as gothic...etc." Maybe breaks it down into simple elements? I know a little, but not enough to keep interest in anything technical.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by highachiever View Post
    I have checked the library, but the topics do not seem to narrow it down. i was looking for something that says "this is what defines something as gothic...etc." Maybe breaks it down into simple elements? I know a little, but not enough to keep interest in anything technical.
    Well, then let's you and me liven up the Architecture board here and teach a course in styles. I know a lot and am game.

Pssst, talk to a reference librarian who will interlibrary loan for you exactly what you want. If you really like any of the choices, you can buy them on Amazon or alibris.

May 23, 2010, 07:04 PM

Ok I have to go to the library tomorrow for a meeting and will check out some stuff. It's been a while since I last looked, so I may be a bit rusty. But I look forward to the intellectual conversation too. I may get a few on Renaissance Art just to tickle my fancy-but I guess that would be discussion for another section. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2010, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by highachiever View Post
    Ok I have to go to the library tomorrow for a meeting and will check out some stuff. It's been a while since I last looked, so i may be a bit rusty. But I look forward to the intellectual conversation too. I may get a few on Renaissance Art just to tickle my fancy-but I guess that would be discussion for another section. :)
    Not only will you want to learn about Doric and Corinthian, but also about various countries' architecture styles and even house styles such as Georgian and Saltbox and Bungalow and Foursquare.
    tomsmith2010 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 01:47 AM
    Architectural works are often perceived as cultural and political symbols and as works of art. Historical civilizations are often identified with their surviving architectural achievements. Architecture sometimes refers to the activity of designing any kind of system and the term is common in the information technology world.
    Architectural styles classify architecture in terms of the use of form, techniques, materials, time, region and other stylistic influences. It overlaps with, and emerges from the study of the evolution and history of architecture. In architectural history, the study of Gothic architecture, for instance, would include all aspects of the cultural context that went into the design and construction of these structures. Hence, architectural style is a way of classifying architecture that gives emphasis to characteristic features of design, leading to a terminology such as Gothic "style".
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
    I would suggest starting online and then moving to reference books you can get in your hands to study further. Here is a Wikipedia link for Architectural Styles, since that is an initial and basic curiosity.

I would suggest then visiting Wikipedia's Architectural Main Topic Page, and you can go on from there.

It is surprising how many different styles there have been over the centuries. Enjoy your educational journey!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I can't apply my visual styles [ 1 Answers ]

I downloaded visual styles for my windowblinds.. but I can't apply she skins that I downloaded.. Last night I did some tweaks to speed up my PC.. maybe that's the cause of my problem.. please help..

Are hair styles art? [ 3 Answers ]

What do you guys think about hair styles being an art? I am a guy so this is kind of touchy for my gender I suppose; but I love to style my hair differently, abstractly, but at the same time I make sure it is pleasant to look at and "not messy". I view this as a form of art and self expression....

View more questions Search