Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UnigirlBelle Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Enlarging pictures
    I took a picture on my digital camera and it is only roughly 300kb. How can I enlarge it to 3 megapixels. Do I need a certain type of program to do it on?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2010, 02:29 PM

You don't enlarge a photo to megapixels. The photo has to be taken in the number of megapixels you want. A 300KB JPG would probably be about 3 megapixels.

What is it you need to do with the photo? What software are you using?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 23, 2010, 02:31 PM

Belle,

You can spend a lot of time doing math to figure out how to increase the pixel density and still get it wrong.

I use PhotoShop Elements 7.X

With that program, I can set the image size to the desired size and at the same time increase the resolution (pixel density) t the same time.

May 23, 2010, 05:35 PM

I was just taking random pics of my kitten after I gave her a bath to get paint off her and one came out really funny and I wanted to submit it to a photo contest. So when I read the rules it said a minimum 3 megapixels. So I figured it was just a matter of enlarging it. Right now I just have Paint and Irfanview and Openoffice.org draw.

May 23, 2010, 06:35 PM

What is the default megapixel setting on your camera? The number of megapixels ALLOWS enlargement. You may be able to increase the density with certain software, but its more a matter of what your camera takes.

May 24, 2010, 03:21 AM

It's set at 4M - 2304 x 1728.

May 24, 2010, 03:58 AM

Then you have no problem.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 24, 2010, 06:51 AM

Most screen software defaults to 72 pixels when initially displaying.

In Ifranview, what is the dimensions of the image? If it is some really large image say 20 by 30 inches, then using the "Image" drop down menu you should be able to resize and resample the image.

Sometimes just resizing the image to say 5X7 will bring the pixel density up to what you need.

Good luck.

May 24, 2010, 02:31 PM

Irfanview shows the picture at 2048 x 1536 in pixels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Enlarging Photos or Images [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm here to ask about the best software or the best way to enlarge a normal images to a high resolution images. I'm having trouble about finding a high resolution images on the websites. Even my own images that i take using a digital camera is still bad. Can anyone here helps. If anybody...

Installing new deadbolt and enlarging the mounting hole [ 5 Answers ]

I have purchased a new deadbolt lock for my front door, which requires me to drill a 2-1/8inch diameter hole in the door. There is already an existing smaller diameter hole for the old deadbolt. My question is: are there any tricks to enlarging the diameter of an existing hole? My hole saw uses a...

Enlarging a basment shower/ venting [ 1 Answers ]

We are changing an existing shower from a 32x32 fiberglass to a 48x48 tiled in shower. There is a cast iron Pipe that was connected to a copper vent. It now sits in the middle of the larger area we are intending to be our shower. The vent pipe that it was connecting to is less than 30" away can we...

Enlarging patterns [ 1 Answers ]

Suggestions please on enlarging pattern

Enlarging shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of enlarging my downstairs bathroom in a tri-level home. I am moving the drain to center it in the shower. I have removed the old concrete and moved the drain about 18 inches. We would like to drop the shower floor a couple of inches as I am very tall and the bathroom has...

View more questions Search