Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    issa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
    How much is the government allowed to garnish social security for student loans
    I am retired and have Social Security, a small fed gov pension, and state retirement. I owe back taxes and student loans. What percent of my income can the government levy.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 24, 2010, 09:42 AM
    If you owe state taxes, the state will go after the state retirement.

If you owe federal taxes, the IRS will go after BOTH the state retirement and federal government pension.

In most cases, the IRS cannot garnish the Social Security unless they can show that you do NOT need the Social Security to maintain a minimum standard of living. You need to be pro-active about this and submit the necessary paperwork to show that losing your Social Security nebefits will cause egregious harm to your financial well-being.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my social security disability be garnished by SallieMae to pay student loans. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been receiving social security disability insurance payments for almost two years. These payments are my only source of income. I owe a lot in student loans serviced by SallieMae. Can my disability payments be garnished to pay back the loans?

Can IRS garnish your social security checks for deliquent loans? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a s b a loan that went bad can they garnish my social security checks to repay the loan after I have filed personal bankruptcy and business bankruptcy?

Can they garnish my wife's wages in s.c. For her student loans? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife has defaulted on her student loans. We live in southcarolina they have been calling us a lot telling her they are going to garnish her wages if we don't pay 331.00 by the end of the month what can we do? Can they garnish her wages?

Is a creditor (visa), allowed to garnish social security, and or VA benefits [ 1 Answers ]

Is a creditor able to garnish social security, and/or VA benefits in the state of Florida?

Garnish wages in SC for federal student loans: [ 2 Answers ]

Hello? Gigiw214 , I just found this website. After searching through different topics I could not find a clear answer to my question? We live in the state of South Carolina. I want to know is it legal to garnish wages for a federal student loan. Do they have to notify you that they are going to...

View more questions Search