Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Did God die on the Cross? Is Mary the Mother of God?

If God died on the Cross then Mary is the Mother of God, the same logic applies to both.

I say that God died on the Cross because Jesus is God and Jesus died on the Cross.

I say that Mary is the Mother of God, because Jesus is God and Mary is His Mother.

What say you?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 10:44 AM

Yes, Jesus died on the cross and Mary is his Mother.

God , the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit are all the same .

WhenJesus was on the cross he called unto his father(God) and asked, "Father, Father, why has thouu forsaken me'? On his departure from this earth after he had arisen... he descended into Heaven but he told his disciples, 'I leave with you a comforter (his spirit)'. The father, Son and the Holy Spirit are all one.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Yes, Jesus died on the cross and Mary is his Mother...
    Hi Kit Kat,

Thanks for answering.

You stopped short of saying that Mary is the Mother of God. Do you believe that statement?

God , the father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit are all the same .
    That depends on what you mean by "the same".

If you mean they are one God, that is a true statement. They are one God in Three Persons.

But they are not precisely the same because they are three distinct Divine Persons.

The Father is in the Son, but the Father is not the Son.
    The Holy Spirit is in the Father and the Son, but the Holy Spirit is neither the Father nor the Son.

WhenJesus was on the cross he called unto his father(God) and asked, "Father, Father, why has thouu forsaken me'? On his departure from this earth after he had arisen... he descended into Heaven but he told his disciples, 'I leave with you a comforter (his spirit)'. The father, Son and the Holy Spirit are all one.
    That is true.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2010, 11:14 AM

I say we discussed this to death about a year ago and all this will do is bring out the anti catholic group and turn ugly real fast
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I say we discussed this to death about a year ago and all this will do is bring out the anti catholic group and turn ugly real fast

I agree Fr. Chuck and all I'm going to say is this, There is one way to heaven doesn't matter how good you are , the blood of Jesus has to be applied to your heart and soul. Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are one. Mary is the mother of Jesus. I don't want to argue with anyone about whether this is that or that is this. All I know is the feeling I have in my heart and that is, "thank God this world is only a stop and I'm ready to leave for Heaven whenever God calls.

I won't answer the second question by the OP because I'm no theologian. I do however know this, all the things which have already happened in the Bible have made it possible for me to be a child of God. Thanks again Fr.Chuck. I'm glad you addressed this. I will not address something that really has no reason to be answered. Blessings
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 23, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post

If God died on the Cross then Mary is the Mother of God, the same logic applies to both.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Hi De Maria,

Well, actually they are somewhat different categories of truth/falsity.

I don't mind addressing the first claim but I certainly won't tackle the second.

God and Jesus is tied up with the concept of identity. One possible way of looking at the problem of identity in this regard might be:

If two things e.g.. God and Jesus can interchange with each other and still leave the descriptive structure of the world intact they would be the same entities but with different labels.

Jesus died on the cross.
    God died on the cross.

Jesus turned water into wine
    God turned water into wine.

The question can be asked is the truth value of these statements unchanged by interchanging them?

By truth value I mean true or false in the classical tradition.

Tut
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:26 PM

Jesus is the son of God.

He was born to Mary by immaculate conception.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Jesus is the son of God.

He was born to Mary by immaculate conception.
    As Fr.Chuck stated and I'm sure jmjoseph will agree... this is going to turn into an argument with different kind of opinions. I know what I believe and I agree with jmjoseph, Jesus was born to Mary by immaculate conception. That's all I have to add.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Without getting into anything anti catholic as Fr Chuck predicts, there is some very mixed up thinking on this subject and applying greek logic to the discussion as you have done does not add clarity or truth. But is playing with symantics

Jesus has existed through out all eternity as God, to suggest he came into being two thousand years ago is heresy. Mary has not existed throughout all eternity and is not part of the Godhead, no matter how far she has been elevated by man.

It is true she gave birth to the man Jesus but to carry that further to suggest she is the mother of God, or anything other than a very privileged individual, is ridiculous. Jesus and the Father are indivisable and have existed eternally so the correct statement is Mary is the mother of Jesus
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It's always that way. Strange isn't it? So we should hide under a rock someplace?

JoeT
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    It's always that way. Strange isn't it? So we should hide under a rock someplace?

JoeT

As Fr_Chuck stated this has been discussed previously. The mods do not like discussions turning into arguments and I agree with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did jesus die so we can pray to god [ 17 Answers ]

Did Jesus die so we can pray to GOD

I live with my mom (who does not have custody) and want to back with my god mother [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Ryan. My mother left me and my father when I was only five years old. She never contacted me or my father in any way. Two years ago my father passed away. In his will he stated that my god mother Dawn was to have guardianship of me. Well about 4 months ago I found my mom and thought I...

Science Vs. Religion (GOD) continued: GOD created man in his own image. [ 145 Answers ]

K, so we can argue till the cows come home, about this but there is a lot of good feed back from the last one I had, I like to hear others ideas. I"m going to simplify this one though, to avoid loosing the topic. Lets go with the idea that some scientific professionals believe that...

View more questions Search