Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usctrojan2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out
    Hello,
    We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month).

Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. Me along with one of my roomies have sent a written and signed letter to the apartment management people stating that we are going to move out on 31st Jan 2007 and that our names should be taken out of any contract on or after our move out date.

Now here is the issue... The apartment management says that all three of us have to put in writing that we need to move out. They won't consider any written letter from 2 out of 3 persons (who are on the lease). We will automatically be contractually liable for the lease renewal and our names won't be taken off. (This is what the apartment management states). In case my third room-mate does not send the letter what would be the legal outcome of this issue?. would me and my other room-mate be put on the new lease renewal or not?.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out with my question.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Jay
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Tell them to go stuff it (politely). You are each signed separately on the lease. There is no way they can force you all to agree. Read the lease. Unless there is some clause in the lease that requires all three to be unanimous (and I doubt there is), they are wrong. Write them back and ask them where in the lease or in NJ Landlord-tenant laws it states that all three of you have to terminate the lease together or be automatically renewed. Basically you are calling their bluff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord making up own lease termination rules. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm new. So... I rented an apartment in Portland, Oregon starting Jan.1, 2006 with a 1 year lease. In May I had the opportunity to work in Japan for 6 months starting in June. I contacted the landlord and explained the situation. I told him I would be moving out and we agreed that I would...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

Early lease termination for layoff IOWA [ 2 Answers ]

I hear a tenant can get out of a lease early if he or she gets laid off from their job. Again, the lease is in Iowa and I am a union boilermaker that works in many states throughout the country. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Doug

Room mate not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord W rents to tenants A and T. Today W got a call from A saying that she wants help getting someone out of their (rented) house. Co-tenant T told friend R he could live there for a while. A thought it would be just a few days. Now R has been there for weeks, messing up the house, paying...

Lease Termination in Iowa [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment. There are 11 months left on the lease. I was recently approved for my first mortgage and have a lot hold on a townhome in a new development (yet to be built). If I decide to purchase I have to commit by signing a purchase agreement in October. Still have the...

View more questions Search