Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meecy12 Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Recovering from depression
    I need to hear from someone who KNOWS what it feels like to be in the deepest, darkest pits of depression, that it's possible to survive and be happy. Because I'm going to college as a complete emotional wreck. And I would rather die than see what life has to offer. IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE HAPPY WHEN YOU HAVE DEPRESSION
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 20, 2010, 07:15 PM
    Are we talking about situational depression, brought on by something traumatic in the recent past? Or are you clinically depressed, diagnosed, and on medication?

If you could provide more information on why you have landed in this place, you will get much more thourough answers.

As to your question, yes. Treatment for depression is highly successful, and when treated, allows that cloud to lift, and life to be happier again.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
    Yes.. I know what it's like to be where you are. For years I suffered with mood swings and crying bouts that would leave me drained. It was the darkest time of my life and many times I wondered why I was even trying to stay above water... I prayed a lot and God heard my prayers although I didn't think he did.

My sisters and my husband finally sat me down and told me I needed help and I went to see a Dr. I hated the thought of living on pills for the rest of my life but after a week on an anti-depressant I started noticing things again. I missed my grandsons birthday party because I was sleeping all the time and I didn't want to leave the house.. that was before the anti depressants.

Please believe me when I say , there is help and hope for this. If you believe in God , just pray and tell him everything you are feeling. He already knows and he's there. As soon as possible get yourself to a Dr. and tell him or her what's going on. You are not alone sweetie, I promise you that.

It's a horrible feeling to be in this frame of mind and you're exactly the way I was. Remember pray and see a doctor and talk to us here on this forum. There are so many wonderful people here. Please see a doctor and keep posting as much as you can and I will help you get through this and so will others here. You are in my prayers.:)

Yes.. I am very happy now and it's because I needed help and I got it.
    meecy12 Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2010, 07:27 PM

I am clinically depressed and was diagnosed at 14 (I'm 18 now). I'm on antidepressants and see a therapist. I've gotten so much better compared to what I used to be. But I'm still not in a good place. After 8 years of feeling like this, motivation to keep striving to get better is indescribably difficult. No purpose, no love, I can't take it sometimes.

Kitkat22 thanks for relating to me, I know there are millions like me. But like most of them, you just feel alone most of the time.

Jake2008 thanks to you too
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by meecy12 View Post
    I am clinically depressed and was diagnosed at 14 (I'm 18 now). I'm on antidepressants and see a therapist. I've gotten so much better compared to what I used to be. But I'm still not in a good place. After 8 years of feeling like this, motivation to keep striving to get better is indescribably difficult. No purpose, no love, i can't take it sometimes.

Kitkat22 thanks for relating to me, i know there are millions like me. But like most of them, you just feel alone most of the time.

jake2008 thanks to you too

Listen.. You are in College and I'll bet you make good grades. There is purpose in your life. You are you... and that makes you special. Don't worry too much about love.. you'll find it or it will find you.

You are a fighter and a winner... gosh I didn't even try to go to College because I didn't have the guts to study hard and stick to anything. You are not alone. Be you.. don't wreck your life by trying to be the best at everything you do. You are here for a reason.

It's good to want success and to be a good daughter or wife or friend or mother. But if your not perfect , join the club nobody is. You have a lot on your plate and you need to take a break and rest and look at the world and see all the things we have to be thankful for.

You are not alone sweetie.. We're here for you. Blessings
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

May 20, 2010, 09:28 PM
    I am happy to know that you are on anti-depressants, and you're seeing a counsellor.

Maybe it's time to review the medication you are on, and see if some changes can't be made.

I too, have been a depressed person, diagnosed, and medicated off and on for a very long time. I don't know if I will ever be really 'healed' or 'fixed' because the 'cures' cannot erase memories.

But, like you, when I needed it, it kept me going, and gave me hope that thing would eventually get better, and they did. I'm sure you find that there are many ups and downs, and despite telling yourself that it will pass, the pain is there, and it has to be dealt with.

Like Kitkat said, college is a huge step for you, for anybody. I was terrified personally, but once I got my feet wet, it was the best time of my life. I still remain friends with college buddies. Something about that shared adventure at your age, makes for a lifetime of change.

And the change will be good for you. Not only are you heading off to independence, you are heading into the unknown, and there are so many people, and so many opportunities to do new and different things. I actually met my husband while I was at college.

If there is anything specific to how you are feeling right now, I hope that you will post about it. Getting it out there and talking about it really helps.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by meecy12 View Post
    I am clinically depressed and was diagnosed at 14 (I'm 18 now). I'm on antidepressants and see a therapist. I've gotten so much better compared to what I used to be. But I'm still not in a good place. After 8 years of feeling like this, motivation to keep striving to get better is indescribably difficult. No purpose, no love, i can't take it sometimes.

Kitkat22 thanks for relating to me, i know there are millions like me. But like most of them, you just feel alone most of the time.

jake2008 thanks to you too
    From this post alone, what happened at age 10 that brought you to this stage?(18 years old,diagnosed at 14,been depressed for 8 years)Has your therapist tried to discuss the past with you?Have you tried to discuss the past with them?

Until you look at the symptoms,the chaos will continue.. medications are a band-aid to help you through the times of depression,but to fully embrace the problems you are going through, in-depth therapy is probably needed.

I've looked back at your previous posts,those that have dealt with mental health issues,amongst other things.In them you have had these issues all along.It is up to you to put these things to rest.

Medications and therapy can only do so much, you have to take a roll in your recovery.

How can I say this?I have been the person you are describing for many years,in the past.Today I stay on the medications I am prescribed,I comply with the wants and needs of the professionals I trust in in order to feel better, I've stopped second guessing their diagnosis and treatments.

My BEST attempts to feel good kept me in chaos, I would return to the depressions and (in my case,mania).Where would I go from there would be anyone's guess.. normally to the hospitals.

How much longer you want to stay in the pain and suffering is entirely up to you.Medications and therapy are the right thing to do(in my opinion),now you need to do what is right.(for you)

In my opinion,regression therapy would help you.It would seem that something happened around 8 years ago that you have on your mind, only you know what that might be.To trust a professional,open up to someone about what this might be,these things are your responsibility.IF... you want to be free from this chaos,you MUST do something for yourself.you already know that living this way isn't something you want to do, you wouldn't write in here if it was.

Sincerely,

KBC
    Uber Member

May 21, 2010, 04:22 AM

Hey there little girl. I hope you had a good nights rest. I thought about you last night and said a prayer for you.

I just want you to start your day knowing there are people who care and think about you.

You are not alone. When you feel like you want to open up about some things, feel free to do so.

Do you keep in touch with your folks? Do you have siblings? No hurry.. we have time when you want to share.

So good morning and I hope you have a great day... Blessings... Kit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Depression,depression, depression on ex girlfriend. [ 8 Answers ]

After we broke up, I really wanted to forget her and such. More I tried, the more I step a few steps back. Now reminiscing I seriously feel she had cheated on me... and that might be the reason we broke up. It's been like half a year since we broke up but I still can't forget her. One of the reason...

Physical Depression more than Emotional Depression [ 3 Answers ]

I have a hard time getting up in the morning, I feel like I have no energy. I'm not just tired but drained of anything to make me get up. I also have been having a hard time remembering things, dizzy spells, nausea and weakness when lifting things. I do have some emotional depression but not as...

Recovering Pizzaholic [ 30 Answers ]

I am looking for a sponcer or a good cook.

Recovering last paycheclk [ 1 Answers ]

How do I recover my last paycheck from my ex employer or what are my rights?

View more questions Search