Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iswear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 05:44 PM
    What form do I file with IRS to take back my taxes they took for back child support
    My ex pays child support sporadicly and never a large amount for three children, he owes 4 years of back child support. This year I received his taxes. Now 2 months later they are telling me he filed a report with IRS that reversed his taxes being given to me and gave his taxes back to him. Now I owe the child support people.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2010, 05:57 PM

This doesn't make a lot of sense. The child support agency filed with the IRS to garnish his refund. It sounds like without your knowledge. The IRS granted the garnishment and sent the refund to the support agency who sent it to you.

Now the support agency says he got the IRS to the reverse garnishment and they want you to return what they paid you?

The first question I would ask is, if he does owe the back support what reasons would they reverse it?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
    I agree with Scott.

The child support people who filed the garnishment action to begin with need to represent your interests here by reviewing your ex's rebuttal and challenging it on its merits.
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

May 21, 2010, 04:16 PM

I think what Iswear is saying is that her ex's "spouse" filed an injured spouse form. His ex's spouse can recover "her" portion of the refund, that was taken to pay child support, as she doesn't owe it, only her husband. What this appears to be is her ex filed refund return, and no injured spouse form was filed with it, causing the full amount to offset to child support. If part of that refund belongs to his current wife, the current wife can file an injured spouse form to recover just her portion. From Iswears standpoint her ex asked for this recovery, this is incorrect, the spouse did under the injured spouse rules, which has been an allowable practice for years, and justly so, his spouse doesn't owe the child support.

There are instances were her ex, can claim his income is reduced, but he must go to court and restructure the support payments.
    I'm guessing its one of these two circumstances.

May 21, 2010, 04:43 PM

According to the OP, her ex owes FOUR years of back support. So they have been divorced for at least that time. So this is not a joint refund. It is not uncommon for child support agencies to attach a tax refund from a deadbeat parent.

May 21, 2010, 10:59 PM

You're misunderstanding my answer ScottGem. This OP's ex and his "current" wife filed MFJ. His current wife can file a F8379 to recover her portion of the MFJ refund, taken and given to this OP. Even after its been taken and given to child support.

May 22, 2010, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mack20007 View Post
    You're misunderstanding my answer ScottGem. This OP's ex and his "current" wife filed MFJ. His current wife can file a F8379 to recover her portion of the MFJ refund, taken and given to this OP. Even after its been taken and given to child support.
    Ahh, Yes, that does make sense. But still, the support agency should a) be explaining this and b) only be asking for a partial refund. There is no indication of that in the OP's posts. Or even that the ex has remarried.

May 22, 2010, 07:20 PM

They may have explained it and Iswear misunderstood. Who knows. This may not even be what happened, I'm hypothesizing.
    Iswear wants to check into it. Even so, I would be upset if I was her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the IRS keep my back pay for Social Security Disability If I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I owe back federal taxes of approximately $13,000.00. I have a back payment of approximately $20.000.00 coming from Social Security Disability. How much money will the IRS keep of this money if any, and will they notify me before hand

How to file back child support [ 3 Answers ]

Ima twenty six my father has never paid and now my mom is hurting and as aman he has responsblities can I take him to court for back child support he never was there

How much do you get back on a child when you file taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I live I n flordia and I was wondering how much you can get back when you calm your child on your taxes?

Can someone file for back child support after the child reaches 18 in California? [ 5 Answers ]

My brother never paid child support and my sister in law had to raise the son by herself without his financial help. In the original divorce papers it says he has to pay child support but never did. Now he is 22 and really needs help for college. Can my sister in law or my nephew sue my brother...

Can I file for back child support after 18? [ 7 Answers ]

Can I file for back child support after my child reaches the age of 18? He will be 18 in May. We are adopted parents and his father has not paid child support for 12 years. I never filed for child support but now I could really use the help.

View more questions Search